Experience of Spousal Maintenance?

Options
MrE1
MrE1 Posts: 38 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I've also posted this question on Quora...
Is anyone in England or Wales willing to share their own divorce experience of "Spouse Maintenance"? How much you got and for what commitments and needs. How much would the court awarded for taking over a 300k home on a single 25k salary with a 6+9 yr old? please say if you'rw from England or Wales (in case it makes a difference) 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 January at 3:32PM
    Options
    Spousal  maintenance is very unusual. 
    Sibling had to pay his wife for two years to allow her the opportunity to retrain because she’d been out of the workforce for a long time. He believes that with a different solicitor, he wouldn’t have had to pay spousal maintenance at all, and that it was only awarded to allow her to get back into work so he wouldn’t have had to pay it if she’d already been working.
    I’m not seeing how you can afford to buy someone out of a 300 K house on a 25K salary unless there are lots of other assets to take into account . 
    Sibling stayed in the family house and brought the ex out and she bought a smaller place for her and the children elsewhere. This was about 10 years ago.

it’s not a one size fits all numbers game - a court has to take account of both parties needs and if that means selling up and both downsizing that’s what has to happen.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only case I can recall on here, the wife had been SAHM for over 20 years, and got short-term spousal maintenance to retrain. She wanted more money but was expected to try and work part-time.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From everything ive read, Its rare and if awarded is usually only for a short amount of time in order for the other party to retrain.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why can the house not be sold splitting the equity and you buy /rent what you can afford?
  • MrE1
    MrE1 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    sheramber said:
    Why can the house not be sold splitting the equity and you buy /rent what you can afford?
    That is one option but the property would have to be a significantly smaller flat. 25k may also prove to be a tight budget for raising two children.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 January at 6:43PM
    Options
    There is still child benefit, child maintenance and (possibly because I don't know the limits) some entitlement to universal credit all on top of the 25K. Child maintenance is not counted as income when making a claim. So the budget will be higher. 
    And presumably the children will be with the other partner for some of the time? 
    So it will be more that 25K - the reality for most couples splitting up is that there is an associated drop in standard of living because of the need to run two households on the same income which previously ran one. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MrE1 said:
    sheramber said:
    That is one option but the property would have to be a significantly smaller flat. 25k may also prove to be a tight budget for raising two children.
    Have you actually checked using an online benefit calculator to see what you're entitled to?

I'm a part time teacher so earn £26k, and out of curiosity should something happen to Mr Pinkshoes, I checked what I'd be entitled to claim (as we have 3 kids and a 4 bed mortgaged house!) and it was actually quite a lot, as long as my savings were less than £6k! You'd also be able to get child maintenance.

Spousal maintenance doesn't really get awarded unless in quite extreme cases. 
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think Spousal Maintenance is generally more common in the US in bitter divorce proceedings between famous people, where the ex-wife might allege she require things like £20k per month for her phone bill (a real example).

In the UK between normal people I'd say it's very rare, I've never seen a case on MSE.

As is always the case (should be stickied at this point) 2 households is more expensive to run than 1, so living standards will inevitably be affected.
    Know what you don't
  • Stateofart
    Stateofart Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    Not really a thing here in the UK.  I don't think any bank will allow you to take on a 300K house on that wage.  The court may 'award' you the house until the kids are 18, however in the bank's eyes you will fail the affordability test.  You will probably need to downside unless there's tons of equity in the house.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My husband had to pay spousal maintenance to his ex wife for two years as she had never worked but gave it to her in one lump sum rather than the monthly payments.  It was only £200 a month.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback