We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Travel agent refusing to change e-ticket name

Options
We have booked a holiday to Hong Kong and Thailand via a local travel agent who is selling a holiday from another travel agent, Mainstreet USA.
The flights for the holiday are with Cathay Pacific and unfortunately Mainstreet have not put my husbands middle name on the e-ticket so we cannot link his passport to the booking online and won’t be able to check in online. 

Cathay Pacific say the travel agent should make the change for us but they are refusing saying they have done nothing wrong and we should just ignore my husbands middle name on his passport and just use his first name which we are not too happy doing as we would like to be comfortable that we will have a smooth transition through all the airports.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in the same position and able to offer advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did you give the travel agent the correct name (including his middle name) when booking?

If his first name and surname are correct on the reservation then it may not be necessary to even add his middle name.  Has the airline or the agent said it is required, or is this just something you wish to add?
  • Donut1958
    Options
    Thanks for your response….when I went online to add our API and I entered his name as on his passport it wouldn’t save as it flagged a mismatch of names and asked us to resolve this.  I spoke to Cathay and they said I needed to get the travel agent to add his middle name as it was missing, but on the booking his name does include his middle name so I am not sure why it is not on the e-ticket.  We are now in a situation where the travel agent is contradicting what the airline is saying……
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Never use my middle name when booking flights and never had an issue adding my passport which does have my middle name, even when flying CX
  • mortgageFTB
    mortgageFTB Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just submit the details without his middle name.

I never use my middle name on tickets, never have and it’s on my passport.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,218 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Ditto. I wouldn’t worry.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    silvercar said:

Ditto. I wouldn’t worry.
    I would do the same now at this point.

If you start asking for name amendments at this stage on what are likely to be restrictive tickets it could be costly.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 26 January at 10:45PM
    Options
    I had to go look there. Both my passports have my middle name on them but I never use it when booking travel and have never had an issue. As others have said, just use the first and last names.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 January at 6:36PM
    Options
    I HATE my middle name and, although it's on my passport, have never used it in booking any travel arrangements.  Managed to get RTW without any problems so far.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport