Bought a costly screen protector for your phone?

B0bbyEwing
B0bbyEwing Posts: 1,177
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
I generally just buy the ones you find on ebay for like £3-£5 ish. 

Just pre-ordered a new phone & one of the cases I have with my phones (Quad Lock) are offering a screen protector to be thrown in at £12.

Just made me wonder if anyone reading this has ever bought a costly protector like this & can say whether it's any different in any way to the cheaper ones? 

I imagine they're all pretty much the same & you'll just be paying for a known company to send their cheap or to you at cost. 

But as I've never bought one before.... 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,627
    Forumite
    They use a tempered glass screen protector. Unlike the cheap protectors that are just thin plastic.

Tempered ones can cause issues if you have a in screen fingerprint reader.
    Life in the slow lane
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    Forumite
    are screen protectors necessary? I have never used one
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,704
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    km1500 said:

If they keep small scratches off the screen it can increase the resale value over one which has got lots of visible scratches. 

Not necessarily important.

Some people like to use their phones "naked" no case no screen protector.  Personal preference.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,759
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 25 January at 3:33PM
    I'd never used one until the factory installed one that came on the S21 started looking rough. I then found Hybrid protectors and installed one in it's place it feels good and no fingerprint problems. It's not scratched and still looks pristine after 18 months. I'll be looking to get Hybrid again for my S24 when it arrives.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 1,177
    Forumite
    edited 25 January at 4:17PM
    Never heard of hybrid protectors. 

I've a Spigen Neoflex protector on my S20 at the moment (tempered didn't work with the fingerprint sensor - which is how I like to unlock). 

Good job too. I dropped it on rough ground & the protector was battered. I thought for sure it was bad enough to mark the glass. 

It was, although only ever so slightly. Barely noticeable at all. 

Had I not had a protector on the screen would've been badly scratched. 

So for me, yes a protector is worth it. 

And for the record, yes I know the Neoflex is around £15 so therefore more than £12 but my OP was meaning more the costly tempered ones vs the cheap eBay tempered ones.

Edit to add - just saw the hybrid protector on YouTube from Mous. 
    Not sure how the protector stacks up itself vs tempered or the Neoflex that I have but I certainly like the application process. I can get them mostly central but never perfect. That tool will help a lot. 
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 634
    Forumite
    I don't know if the expensive ones are better than the cheap ones. However, what I do know is that even if you buy an expensive one, it's cheaper than repairing a cracked screen.

So I recently bought an iPhone 15 Pro and bought a Tech 21 glass screen protector (£20). I dropped my phone within 2 weeks of owning it and the screen protector cracked, but the phone screen was fine. On that basis, I felt vindicated buying an expensive screen protector.  
  • RumRat
    Forumite
    edited 25 January at 10:09PM
    Never heard of hybrid protectors. 

I've a Spigen Neoflex protector on my S20 at the moment (tempered didn't work with the fingerprint sensor - which is how I like to unlock). 

Good job too. I dropped it on rough ground & the protector was battered. I thought for sure it was bad enough to mark the glass. 

It was, although only ever so slightly. Barely noticeable at all. 

Had I not had a protector on the screen would've been badly scratched. 

So for me, yes a protector is worth it. 

And for the record, yes I know the Neoflex is around £15 so therefore more than £12 but my OP was meaning more the costly tempered ones vs the cheap eBay tempered ones.

Edit to add - just saw the hybrid protector on YouTube from Mous. 
    Not sure how the protector stacks up itself vs tempered or the Neoflex that I have but I certainly like the application process. I can get them mostly central but never perfect. That tool will help a lot. 
    Hybrid protectors like this one.  Flexklearglass..
    A tad expensive, but, if you look around there are cheaper ones. As a fraction of the phones cost though..... :)
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 870
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've always used glass ones from Ebay costing less than £2.50 inc postage. I've sometimes had to replace them because they got cracked or chipped and on those occasions was glad I'd not damaged the phone's screen
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 394
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    km1500 said:
    Likewise, never dropped my phone or scratched the screen either
  • RumRat
    Forumite
    km1500 said:
    Likewise, never dropped my phone or scratched the screen either
    I haven't either. I'll be trying my S24 without then applying the protector, if it makes the screen reflective again I'll remove it. Pointless making the new screens less reflective capabilities void.

A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family