We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Shop to let through a raffle

Fofozuzu
Fofozuzu Posts: 62 Forumite
10 Posts
Hi , another one of my crazy idea, I own a commercial unit ( for 12 years occupied for 11,5 years by 3 different tenants)which is going to be free in one month time , I advertise it on g……e in the last week and I am amazed that 500 people had a look at the ad on the website but only got 3 messages with very basic enquiry, understandably  the current economic climate is not the best at the moment and I totally hate to see empty commercial units in local neighbourhood I wanted to know if it is legal to raffle the shop by tickets say at £300 each and when I have sold enough of those tickets to cover my one year rent the winning ticket get the shop to trade on a 3/5/10 year lease with obviously the first year free and give them a fantastic opportunity to be rent free for a year which is when most new business are at risk, and I won’t be out of pocket.
i told you it was a crazy idea, so if a legally trained person in Scotland could help me by responding it will  be greatly appreciated .

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,426 Forumite
    10,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    I'm neither legally trained nor in Scotland, but my suggestion would be to look into the legalities of a game of chance '(such as a raffle) compared to a game of skill. In England at least, I believe there are more restrictions on the former (which are classed as gambling) than the latter, which is why you often see similar schemes requiring entrants to answer a simple general knowledge style question. 
  • Fofozuzu
    10 Posts
    Thanks for your reply, I took the view that if 500 people looked at a commercial property for rent on the market in a dedicated website even during this economic climate and only 40 for example were seriously interested and paying each a one off £300 ( which far less than any survey, report or quote ) to get a premise and having 12 months breathing space it would be worthwhile to take a 1/40 chance.
    i remember starting my business and having 3 mortgage at the same time ,a 6 weeks old baby and paying the 2 of us £50/ week for x12 hours work each person ( just enough for nappies and milk formula). My last tenants were in business for 7 years, 12 years so I try to have people staying for a long period ( better in long run) and even help financially during the Covid lockdown.
    maybe I am a dreamer.
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 402 Forumite
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 25 January at 11:28AM
    Fofozuzu said:
    Thanks for your reply, I took the view that if 500 people looked at a commercial property for rent on the market in a dedicated website even during this economic climate and only 40 for example were seriously interested and paying each a one off £300 ( which far less than any survey, report or quote ) to get a premise and having 12 months breathing space it would be worthwhile to take a 1/40 chance.
    i remember starting my business and having 3 mortgage at the same time ,a 6 weeks old baby and paying the 2 of us £50/ week for x12 hours work each person ( just enough for nappies and milk formula). My last tenants were in business for 7 years, 12 years so I try to have people staying for a long period ( better in long run) and even help financially during the Covid lockdown.
    maybe I am a dreamer.
    So you had 3 basic enquires but are now hoping that them and 37 others who showed no interest will stump up £300 for a 1 in 40 chance.

Reading your last sentence I completely agree with you
  • Fofozuzu
    10 Posts
    thanks bluelad, if I understand your point 500 people are going on a very specific website for no reason at all or maybe some of them expect a bargain or freebie or are bored , this unit I own for 12 years have been rented for 11,5 years between 3 tenants so I think the product is fine, I just thought it would have been an incentive to get the premises for £300 and having one year rent free and be prepared for when the time is coming to pay AND NOT HAVING ANOTHER EMPTY UNIT IN HIGH STREET. As I said «  a crazy idea maybe »
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 4,130 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Fofozuzu said:
     if I understand your point 500 people are going on a very specific website for no reason at all 
    500 views or 500 people. Very different things. 
  • Fofozuzu
    10 Posts
    Yes you are right. It could be only 5 people watching 100 times each the ad. lol 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.