We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help, how to budget when commuting Glasgow to London

Options
Dear community, 

For reasons that are too complex to explain, I am currently living in Glasgow and I am hoping to work four weekends a month in London Sat/Sun 10 to 4 in various locations. 
I do not drive and happy to use plane or train. 

I would appreciate any suggestions in how to save in travel and accommodation ( I know London well I lived there 30 years). 

Please do not waste time about telling me not to do this, or to find other options, my request is quite specific and there is nothing I can do about the circumstances.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips you can offer.

Djuna

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When looking at travel costs, make sure you evaluate them in each direction, i.e. you may find that London-Glasgow return tickets are cheaper than Glasgow-London ones, even after allowing for extra single tickets at each end of the period.
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The first thing you need to decide is whether you can travel down on Saturday and back on Sunday so that you'd only need 1 night in London. 
    The first train out of Glasgow Central on Saturday morning is 04:26 that arrives into Euston at 09:14, but depending on where you have to get to that might not leave enough time for the onward journey. A better alternative might be the Caledonian Sleeper departing 23:40 that arrives at 07:15, it's a relatively expensive journey but potentially cheaper than having to spend Friday night in a London hotel. Heading back there are several trains departing after 4 so you should be OK to return to Glasgow on Sunday. 
    Advance tickets are usually released around 12 weeks ahead of time, but for weekend travel you may find timetables are not confirmed until closer to the date so there may be a delay in tickets becoming available.
    For accommodation in London do you have friends that you could stay at for Saturday night?
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Flixbus is probably one of the cheapest ways though long trip on a bus 
  • DjunaBarnes
    Options
    Great tips thank you!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless you can sleep on buses the cheapest is likely to be flying at un-godly hours. Book flights well in advance; check all the airport close to Glasgow and all five London airports but do not forget about the costs of airport transfers.

Unless you have friends in London, the cheapest accommodation is going to be Smart Hostels but they have age limits, so check in advance and do not make assumptions. Again, early booking is essential.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For reasons that are too complex to explain, I am currently living in Glasgow and I am hoping to work four weekends a month in London Sat/Sun 10 to 4 in various locations.
    Is the prospective London employer able and willing to provide assistance with costs?  If they're aware that a sizable chunk of your income would be absorbed by travel, accommodation and subsistence costs, then they might be prepared to do something about that, if you're in any sort of position to negotiate?
  • DjunaBarnes
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Is the prospective London employer able and willing to provide assistance with costs?  If they're aware that a sizable chunk of your income would be absorbed by travel, accommodation and subsistence costs, then they might be prepared to do something about that, if you're in any sort of position to negotiate?
    Its complicated, I am self employed providing services for a charity. But thank you I might speak to them about it.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 January at 9:30PM
    Options
    Look up the price of budget chains ( Travelodge, Premier Inn) in towns outside London and commute into town might be most cost effective 
    Luton Town Centre £43 in February 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport