Emirates Skywards Miles

Options
I see several closed threads about these air miles so I may have missed a useful tip. For those who don't know just some advice - don't buy any expecting to get back the value. That may be well known but not to me. I bought £400 worth which I tried to use towards a flight. The discount for my £400 was around £100 even though it was only about 3 months later. I don't mind low value for 'free' miles given after a booking but I thought this was the worst deal of the year.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    SueE said:
    I see several closed threads about these air miles so I may have missed a useful tip. For those who don't know just some advice - don't buy any expecting to get back the value. That may be well known but not to me. I bought £400 worth which I tried to use towards a flight. The discount for my £400 was around £100 even though it was only about 3 months later. I don't mind low value for 'free' miles given after a booking but I thought this was the worst deal of the year.
    What flight were you trying to book? Generally speaking you get much better value the higher the class of travel you are booking especially as in most schemes (don't use Emirates personally) you still have to pay the taxes in cash and that is the vast majority of an economy tickets price from the UK. 

These things do vary though, a reward flight in First from HKG to LHR in Cathay Pacific would cost £5 and 100,000 miles. If we ignore the rules on bought miles it would cost you us$3,000 to get 100,000 miles whereas a flight in cash would be £6,983 in mid June, in practice you cannot do it as Cathay cap bought miles at 30% of the total. 

It can be worth buying miles but you need to do your home work on a number of factors.
  • hanry12345
    Options
    Has anyone book the Emirates Airline Flights Tickets from world best travel agency. I am getting best deals for emirates airlines on this website 
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If that is the name of the travel agency, it is based in Taiwan so I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. If on the other hand, the statement is advertising, you need to tell us the real name of the agency so we can advise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback