Ebay purchase not covered by manufacturers guarantee, seller's listing claimed it was

I bought a 'New Other' Beko Fridge Freezer last November from Ebay, which has a fault. The sellers listing said it was brand new, and had full Beko warranty, which is why I bought it. But, I've just spoken to Beko (who consulted their head office) and they've told me that as it was manufactured in 2020 and sold by an ebay seller they aren't familiar with, as far as they are concerned it's second hand so not covered by their warranty.
So, it's not as described, but it is out of the returns window.
I've messaged the seller explaining the situation, and I'm waiting for a response.
Ideally I'd like the appliance returned and a full refund given, as it doesn't match the sellers description and is faulty. 
In case the seller is less than helpful, can someone please advise what would be the best way to proceed? 
I'm very grateful, as always, for any help given.

Comments

• Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,056
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Was it a business selling on ebay or a private individual?
  • mariat
    mariat Posts: 159
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, it was a business with over 6,000 feedback
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    this is not uncommon - buying off ebay rather than an authorised dealer - it may be a condition of warranty that the dealer is on their list.
  • mariat
    Forumite
    OK, so what do I do now?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,882
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    mariat said:
    OK, so what do I do now?
    Your only recourse now is a legal route - as they are a business their full business details will be shown on their listings, so screen grab that in case they disappear. Then write to them with your complaint and expected outcome. Don't go to a letter before action (LBA) until you are ready to go to small claims, see if you can reach a resolution first. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,173
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Also if you haven't already, screenshot the listing where it says it has a warranty.
  • mariat
    Forumite
    Thank you Soolin, I’ll wait a while to see if the seller responds and if not I’ll write to him as suggested. I’m fully prepared to take him to the small claims court if need be. Thanks for your help. 
  • mariat
    Forumite
    Also if you haven't already, screenshot the listing where it says it has a warranty.
    Yes, have done the whole listing, thanks.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,290
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 January at 5:43PM
    Aren’t your rights with the retailer rather than the manufacturer anyway for faulty online purchases?
    If it’s after 30 days, you’re not entitled to a refund  start with, they have to be given the option to repair or replace.  What is the fault with it?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As it is under six months old your consumer rights would be that it is assumed the fault is there since purchase and the retailer should repair or replace. As you bought from a business on eBay your consumer rights are with that business.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback