Octopus not getting readings from smart meter

Flugelhorn
Flugelhorn Posts: 5,427
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
No readings online from smart meter since beginning of December - Octopus reckon they need an engineer out and it will be 4-8 weeks. They haven't said anything yet but do they expect customers  to send them readings in the interim?

Comments

• MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,810
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No readings online from smart meter since beginning of December - Octopus reckon they need an engineer out and it will be 4-8 weeks. They haven't said anything yet but do they expect customers  to send them readings in the interim?
    I would definitely be taking my own readings for my personal use.

It is up to you if you want to submit and create a bill or keep that money in an interest bearing account until your meter is sending readings again.

"I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,171
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wouldn't wait to be asked. I'd be sending in monthly readings until it's sorted.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,663
    Forumite
    It would be in your best interest to submit monthly readings whilst the problem persists.
  • Flugelhorn
    Forumite
    will do - just been checking they haven't issued a bill since the third week of November as clearly nothing triggered for them in December 
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,171
    Forumite
    I think Octopus ask that a meter reading is given at least every 3 months, so probably won't chase you for one until February.

It's up to you if you would like to give more frequent readings, most people prefer to keep a monthly check on their account.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Flugelhorn
    Forumite
    thanks  I'll wait to see if they turn up to mend it - they don't seem bothered - no readings for gas or electric so presume it is some sort of transmitter problem
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,239
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I had to chase up Octopus yesterday as I had not had a bill for 3 months so my account was in credit. I was on Go and switched to IO in November which seemed to cause the issue, but I never got any estimated bills just no bills. 
  • UncleK
    UncleK Posts: 197
    Forumite
    I'd agree with the "send monthly readings" comments. My smart meter stop connecting with Octopus in May 2023 and I'm still trying to get them to sort it - but at least I know (and they know) how much lecky I'm using and therefore what's owed - so no surprises.
  • Flugelhorn
    Forumite
    sounds like it is a bit of a problem for them generally - May 2023 sounds crackers! - I haven't changed tarrif or anything like that. 
    Just been out to have a look at the meters - while the gas meter gave  me a reading straight off the electricity one was totally scrambled for some time and then eventually gave a number which seems reasonable.
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh, NO, I was hoping Octopus would be better than this.

We have just got an electric car and are swapping from Scottish Power, who were terrible, to Octopus because of their Ev rates. Hope I don't have the same problem. 
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure