We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Passport

Options
Wanting to save money by not renewing my passport this year!

My passport issue date is 17/12/14 and expiry date is 17/12/24.

We go to Tenerife 27/6/24 and return 5/7/24.

So, I am with 10 years of issue on return which is fine. What I am confused with is the rules regarding the expiry date.

It appears for Spain we return within 3 months of expiry which is ok, however UK rules suggest renewal is needed if date of return is within 6 months...

Can anyone confirm if I need to renew in advance of travel or will I be ok?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ooh_aah said:

It appears for Spain we return within 3 months of expiry which is ok, however UK rules suggest renewal is needed if date of return is within 6 months...

not sure where you are finding 6 months but UK site is here 

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements

Your passport must be:

• issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)
    • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    6 months validity applies to specific countries. Spain is not one of them.
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This issue is made more complicated as now some airlines are inventing their own passport rules. So that while your passport might comply with destination country requirements, the airline might have different requirements in their Terms & Conditions. I understand BA now require passports to have one full year remaining on the passport. I reckon this is to make it easier for thier staff to work-out if passport is valid, in an attempt to prevent BA inadvertently breaking immigration rules, for which BA (and all airlines) can be fined, at least for flights into the UK. So another route to make honest people lives more difficult/stressful!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I understand BA now require passports to have one full year remaining on the passport.
    Do you have any reliable sources for that?

It's not mentioned at the obvious place for any such restriction to be specified:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/passports-visas-and-api
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This issue is made more complicated as now some airlines are inventing their own passport rules. So that while your passport might comply with destination country requirements, the airline might have different requirements in their Terms & Conditions. I understand BA now require passports to have one full year remaining on the passport. I reckon this is to make it easier for thier staff to work-out if passport is valid, in an attempt to prevent BA inadvertently breaking immigration rules, for which BA (and all airlines) can be fined, at least for flights into the UK. So another route to make honest people lives more difficult/stressful!
    This is not true. BA are quite specific in their rules which are contained in the post above. You are correct that BA and other airlines can be fined for for breaking immigration rules however they don’t require one year’s validity on a passport. They advise checking the conditions for the country you’re entering (wise) and that you have the required amount of time left which they cite as often ‘three to six’ months. This is contained in more detail on the relevant Gov website. But the one year’s validity is false. 
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I understand BA now require passports to have one full year remaining on the passport.
    Pull the other leg Dave...

Evolution, not revolution
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Pull the other leg Dave...

Sorry, my source was one of the Travel writers in the Telegraph newspaper, they were quite agitated about this issue and named BA. I have read BAs T&C's myself and I can't find it!! Sorry again to be alarmist - lesson learned.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure