Sky Q on other broadband provider

Options
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the broadband forum.  We can use Zzoomm broadband in our area and the speeds they are promising are like 10 times as fast as sky, however I don't know if we switched to this whether my Sky Q box would work with it and like it?  Does anyone know or can help answer? does it need a sky broadband to use it?  we don't want to get rid of the tele package.  thanks

Comments

• Peppa537
    Peppa537 Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You don't need Sky broadband for Sky Q to work. I've got a Sky Q box and have never had my  broadband with Sky. 
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Same here. Sky Q for many years and BT internet. No problems.
  • Senseicads
    Senseicads Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    the one i wanted to move to was Zzoomm.  They installed in our area last year and they have fast as speeds.  Working from home now and sometimes the sky connection is weak. It's mostly why we would want to change. 
  • Senseicads
    Senseicads Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask an add on question please? Are your boxes connected via WiFi or cable?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Can I ask an add on question please? Are your boxes connected via WiFi or cable?
    Makes no difference... if you are paying for full fat broadband with another ISP you may get much better service from another ISP than Sky.

If you are paying budget prices etc then Sky may provide a better option as they exclude SkyTV from their data limits etc. 
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the broadband forum.  We can use Zzoomm broadband in our area and the speeds they are promising are like 10 times as fast as sky, however I don't know if we switched to this whether my Sky Q box would work with it and like it?  Does anyone know or can help answer? does it need a sky broadband to use it?  we don't want to get rid of the tele package.  thanks

You haven't needed Sky internet for any of the on-demand/streaming/download stuff since 2012.
  • Peppa537
    Peppa537 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    My box is connected to WiFi (BT broadband). It shouldn't make a difference though. I use this for downloading UHD versions of programmes to the Q box with no issues. I don't use the apps on the box for streaming simply because the ones on my TV or fire stick are better (Netflix, iplayer etc). 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    Options
    SkyQ is not the most stable of solutions regardless of which broadband suppliers wifi routers are being used.

The boxes create a mesh between themselves if you have mini boxes. On a Sky router they do this on the 5Ghz network, on a non Sky router they do it on the 2.4Ghz network (also use 5Ghz for other purposes). So provided you have the 2.4Ghz network available to all the SkyQ boxes as well as the 5Ghz then it should work fine.
  • lyndawilliam
    Options
    Press Home on your Sky Q remote, then go to Settings followed by Setup. Select Network and then select Reset. Wait for the Sky Q box to check the network, then select Confirm.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback