***WATCH MBNA HOME INSURANCE***

Options
Purchased home and buildings insurance before Xmas.  Noticed a new direct debit on my account for £4.34 on Dec 22.  Assumed this was the first payment of HI.  Then saw first payment of Insurance go out - and then today a second payment of £4.34 leave my account.
Traced the direct debit - AWP P C SA to Allianz Assistance (Do you think they are trying to hide themselves?) and rang them on 0208 603 9653
They told me I had signed up to emergency breakdown cover when I bought my MBNA insurance.  I already have breakdown cover - and I certainly had no reason to buy this.
I had received no paperwork or emails about this direct debit - when I queried this, they refunded me the two payments (goodwill) and cancelled the direct debit - as I hadn't received any paperwork.
This is obviously a bit of a scam - as I was told this has been happening to others,  I am now going to check the MBNA website to see how this got added on.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Looks like you selected the Home Emergency Cover which is provided by AWP P&C, the only unusual piece is that AWP are collecting payments directly whereas normally MBNA/Lloyds would collect the full premium and forward the the funds for the optional extras to the other underwriters. 

With some aggregators (eg Confused.com) you can specify if you want home emergency there or not and with others you do it on the vendors own site so there are two places you may have selected it from. 

Where do you currently have your Home Emergency cover from? Standalone policies tend to be fairly expensive compared to having it tied to the home insurance, possible exception being when it's an add on to a boiler service plan. 
  • Audrey_H
    Audrey_H Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve just checked a second direct debit payment from our account- and it’s for £4.34. 
    Thanks to PhillipSaver1982 I don’t need to investigate any further. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback