Starling bank

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

When using them, it seems a little weird to me. I feel a little more free, but they don't offer a lot of services which most people need and plenty of alternative products so I couldn't imagine using them as a main or even secondary account. 

Interested to know what services they don't offer that most people would need for a current account?
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    Which services.dont they offer which most people need? They don't have loans or credit cards, but there's no ned to have those at the same bank as your current account, the current account offers everything as far as I can see. 
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
      they don't offer a lot of services which most people need  

What current account services do Starling not offer?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,563 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Out performing is a subjective term as it depends what you want out of a bank.  We have had accounts with Santander, Nationwide, Barclays, Lloyds, Nat West, First Direct and now Starling.  We have never really had any problems with any of them but I like the Starling app better than First Direct who we were with before. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 917 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    One of the things about Starling that I like is the "virtual cards" feature where you can create a new card and use it online just like your physical card but if you want you can delete it after one use so it's good if you are paying someone you don't quite trust or are generally unsure about - safe in the knowledge they can't do anything dodgy with your card details. 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 January at 12:20PM
    Prefer desktop access myself using a decent sized monitor. Cannot be bothered with apps. No interest at peering at a tiny screen. 
  • ZeroSum
    ZeroSum Posts: 998 Forumite
    Most banks are as much as much, but some offer a few perks that many on here like to take advantage of. 

The thing I don't like about co-op is that it takes about 20 mins for a faster payment to appear into the bank. Their everday rewards used to be decent, now it isnt. 

Starling & Monzo I haven't ever used mainly as they don't offer anything that would tempt me. I have chase for the rewards but for an app only bank, I find the app poor & slow 
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hoenir said:
    Prefer desktop access myself using a decent sized monitor. Cannot be bothered with apps. No interest at peering at a tiny screen. 

Starling has desktop access.
  • Rob5342
    friolento said:
    Hoenir said:

Starling has desktop access.
    It does. You have to use the app to log in but you take a photo of the QR code on the screen which is probably quicker that typing in the text message code like you would with other banks. You can also run it on a tablet if you want a bigger screen 
  • Rob5342
    ZeroSum said:
    Most banks are as much as much, but some offer a few perks that many on here like to take advantage of. 
    It's largely down to the app these days, that's certainly been the reason for my last two bank switches. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback