Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Has anyone used/have experience of Age UK and British Heart Foundation house clearance service?

Options
ss2020jd
ss2020jd Posts: 618 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 21 January at 8:21AM in Charities
I understand it’s a paid for service where they take everything and sort out things they can resell for charity and then undertake to recycle dispose of the rest but the money goes to them rather than some clearance company. 

I have used BHF and Sue Ryder’s furniture collection for charity in the past for odd items but this will be everything left in the house that my mum won’t have room for. 

There isn’t really any rubbish to speak of but there will be things like beds and mattresses, clothes, wardrobes armchairs and sofas, kitchen contents.

Sadly my mum doesn’t feel able to return home after my stepdad died and is too far from family there, not to mention stairs she had a serious fall on, breaking her ankle.  

We’ll have to help her sell the house to pay for her new place whether that’s extending her stay in the care home or sheltered housing so am thinking well ahead after that has happened but would appreciate anyone who has any advice or experience of this. 

Comments

• swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 January at 11:28AM
    Options
    My brother in laws mother died late October and he has to clear her house ready for selling.  BHF came to look at it and reused everything in the house  apart from one chair. They said everything was either 'a bit worn' or it was 'too old fashioned' and no use to them. 
    He got a local man and van to take everything away apart from clothes which went to a charity shop.
  • Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As per previous post.  The BHF are very good, removed my late mother's furniture.  One large piece they could not take as it was not saleable.  And at least it goes to a good cause.

Kind Regards,

Bill
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Please try your local hospice..they usually offer a clearance service for a fee 
  • ss2020jd
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful replies and will definitely enquire with the local hospice too. 
  • clodagh_trubble
    Options
    We gave mum's useable stuff to various charities, different ones wanted different things.  We then needed the rest clearing, BHF quoted £6500 pounds, I had been expecting about £2000 as there was quite a lot of stuff to go, a local company (registered house clearers) cleared it all for £900
  • ss2020jd
    Options
    We gave mum's useable stuff to various charities, different ones wanted different things.  We then needed the rest clearing, BHF quoted £6500 pounds, I had been expecting about £2000 as there was quite a lot of stuff to go, a local company (registered house clearers) cleared it all for £900
    £6500! I wasn’t expecting it to be anywhere near that much. Although it is a small house with not that much so hopeful it will be a bit more reasonable. I have also found a local hospice as well so will get a few quotes but thanks for letting me know your experience. 
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    swingaloo said:
    My brother in laws mother died late October and he has to clear her house ready for selling.  BHF came to look at it and reused everything in the house  apart from one chair. They said everything was either 'a bit worn' or it was 'too old fashioned' and no use to them. 
    He got a local man and van to take everything away apart from clothes which went to a charity shop.
    Is that meant to be refused?  Makes the next sentence make sense it if is.

Over the past couple of years I have been really disappointed with BHF's attitude to furniture donations to the extent that I won't put anything in their direction now.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    swingaloo said:

Over the past couple of years I have been really disappointed with BHF's attitude to furniture donations to the extent that I won't put anything in their direction now.
    Oh, blimey. Sorry, I did mean refused, didn't notice the error till you pointed it out. They were awful really. I saw some of the furniture and cant believe they turned their nose up at it. 

I'm also baffled as to how these companies charge so much for house clearance when they make money from the stuff they take away.
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    swingaloo said:
    swingaloo said:

Oh, blimey. Sorry, I did mean refused, didn't notice the error till you pointed it out. They were awful really. I saw some of the furniture and cant believe they turned their nose up at it. 

I'm also baffled as to how these companies charge so much for house clearance when they make money from the stuff they take away.

My experience as well.  

Same thing happened to a friend who was downsizing, BHF turned up and took nothing.

They are off my Christmas card list now :)
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• ss2020jd
    Options
    It’s a shame to hear all that but I think I’ll be trying a more needy/receptive charity in that case! 

I thought the idea was that you pay an amount for the clearance part - I understand you can’t expect that to be done for free - but in theory they set some of that against what they will be able to sell. The rest is to cover costs and goes back into the charity. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback