I have this Modern $1000 Laptop, but why Gaming on it Sucks?

bery_451
bery_451 Posts: 1,780
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite

Hello,

Its this laptop:

https://www.acer.com/gb-en/support/product-support/SFA16-41/NX.KABEK.002/details

Supposedly its RDNA 2 graphics however I realised it only has 512MB of dedicated VRAM. This laptop has 16GB RAM so how do I get the VRAM to borrow some ram from my main 16GB just for gaming? From here what's the max VRAM it can bump up to?

Lastly how do I unlock the highest TDP Watts Power for this laptop just for gaming while laptop is plugged in? Where do I go in windows 11 settings to enable this because I do not want to be bottlenecked by a lower TDP making gaming slow. Whenever I plug in the charger I want the highest TDP laptop performance automatically and when on just battery then it can go back to the slow Eco mode or whatever, how do I enable this?

Can the hdmi v2.1 port of this laptop output 4k @ 120Hz with Freesync?

Any more optimizations I can do in Windows or AMD settings to squeeze out every juice out of this laptop for gaming while plugged in?

Which are the Best PC games ever according to Metacritic reviews that will run on this laptop @ 4k 60Hz/120Hz max settings? Are remastered PC games optimised?

Finally when I game I have block borders on top and bottom on my laptop screen, its 16:10 screen so where do I go in AMD settings to game at full screen without any cropping of the image?

Comments

• timmy963
    timmy963 Posts: 122
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think your expectations are far too high for a machine which isn't designed for gaming.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 4,879
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    From my limited knowledge this laptop is designed more for home/office/school/uni use rather than gaming. It doesn't have the specs needed for brutal high FPS high processor demanding games. It's small and lightweight for people that are going about their lives and need a nice looking laptop for meetings and lectures, watching a bit of online content and doing the odd presentation. I don't think it's a beast machine for Call of duty or anything similar. If that's what you're needing you'll likely have to upgrade to a different model.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,800
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    That is not a gaming laptop.

What you've linked to makes no reference to AMD either, that is Intel shared graphics and an Intel i7 processor, which are not cheap on their own and probably makes up the cost of the cost of the unit in the first place.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,862
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 January at 1:59PM
    Yeah, as above, not a gaming laptop.  A gaming machine needs a dedicate graphics adaptor.  That's never going run todays games at anything like a good fps.
  • It'll play games but doesn't look like gaming laptop ($1000 or even £1000 if a typo I would suspect would be nowhere near enough for quality gaming at 4K if that is what you were hoping).

CNet summary of SFA16-41:
    "The Acer Swift Edge performed about how I expected: excellent for general office, home and school use including some light content creation tasks. AMD's Ryzen U-series processors are made for thin-and-lights like the Swift line; look for the high-performance H-series for gaming and content creation"

• cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 505
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you're serious about gaming you need a pc rig not a office laptop without a dedicated graphics chip/card

What games are you hoping to play?

Finally is this question a wind up?
  • bery_451
    Forumite
    That is not a gaming laptop.

What you've linked to makes no reference to AMD either, that is Intel shared graphics and an Intel i7 processor, which are not cheap on their own and probably makes up the cost of the cost of the unit in the first place.
    Hi yes its AMD.
  • bery_451
    Forumite
    edited 24 January at 12:06AM
    cerebus said:
    If you're serious about gaming you need a pc rig not a office laptop without a dedicated graphics chip/card

What games are you hoping to play?

The Best PC games ever released between the 90s and 2010, can I play them at 4k 60fps/120fps? Modern games are not as good as older games. What about remasters, can I play them?

What about Emulation?
  • sk2402005
    sk2402005 Posts: 95
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As discussed, that is not a gaming laptop, it only has intergrated graphics.
    I have the 5500U, so a generation older, and its ok for games probably to 2015 ish.

You can increase the TDP using this application, its not goint to solve your issues though.

• Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cerebus said:
    I also have a suspicion this is a wind up.

A shared laptop graphics card and the OP is talking about gaming in 4k @ 120Hz.

You could play older games at great FPS, though it is... counter-productive... to play low polygon count games in 4k resolution.
    Know what you don't
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure