Is this a possible scam? Don't know where to turn for help

Options
2»

Comments

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,373 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    surprised we don't have a dedicated scam forum - they seem to be on the increase
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 January at 12:39PM
    Options
    km1500 said:
    surprised we don't have a dedicated scam forum - they seem to be on the increase
    Unfortunately The issue has always been that those who can spot a scam will always spot a scam, and those that don’t will keep getting scammed . Look at the Taylor swift ticket scammers on Facebook at the moment, everyone selling 4 tickets to the tour, message them direct for details and most of the time they turn commenting off. The newspapers have warned about the scam, social media have warned about the scam yet at least once a week someone on one of the groups I read will ask how they get their bank transfer back that they sent a stranger for 4 Taylor swift tickets. 

I suspect a dedicated spam sub board would be a very fast moving group but only used by people after they have been scammed already. The only real benefit I can think of is that a fast moving board might hit a top spot on a simple google search, if someone does do a brief google search before going ahead. 

Going back to the OP there is anecdotal suggestions that these scammers sell on details of people they consider likely to keep falling for scams, hence the follow up scam. I haven’t seen reports for ages, but I recall one of those investigative programmes on the TV who showed victims that fell for 2 or 3 scams on the basis that company B promised to get the money back from company A etc. absolute scumbags these scammers. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, sounds like a duck, its probably a duck
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • km1500
    edited 21 January at 3:17PM
    Options
    soolin said:
    km1500 said:
    Unfortunately The issue has always been that those who can spot a scam will always spot a scam, and those that don’t will keep getting scammed . Look at the Taylor swift ticket scammers on Facebook at the moment, everyone selling 4 tickets to the tour, message them direct for details and most of the time they turn commenting off. The newspapers have warned about the scam, social media have warned about the scam yet at least once a week someone on one of the groups I read will ask how they get their bank transfer back that they sent a stranger for 4 Taylor swift tickets. 

I suspect a dedicated spam sub board would be a very fast moving group but only used by people after they have been scammed already. The only real benefit I can think of is that a fast moving board might hit a top spot on a simple google search, if someone does do a brief google search before going ahead. 

Going back to the OP there is anecdotal suggestions that these scammers sell on details of people they consider likely to keep falling for scams, hence the follow up scam. I haven’t seen reports for ages, but I recall one of those investigative programmes on the TV who showed victims that fell for 2 or 3 scams on the basis that company B promised to get the money back from company A etc. absolute scumbags these scammers. 
    definitely all good points but one advantage might be that if it is all in one place and people start reading it they might learn something - is that the word - well at least imbibe something

currently scam stuff is scattered and hence the message diluted
  • km1500
    Options
    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, sounds like a duck, its probably a duck
    but on this one occasion with this absolute bargain it may well not be so I'll send the money anyway
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback