Is this a possible scam? Don't know where to turn for help

Options
DPL64
DPL64 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 19 January at 1:43PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I have recently received the e-mail below. Is it part of an on-going scam I've got caught up in a couple of years ago or is it the finalisation of it as the text suggests? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

E-mail received:

We are reaching out to you to inform you that the trading platform which you have an investment with has been liquidated and for security purposes their license has been seized by the Financial Conduct Authority and in order to keep your funds and investments safe, your total investment has safely been moved to us by FSA through a trusty board to avoid investment loss. your proceeds have been deposited into our Vault and we are currently in possession of your total investment and complete ROI (Return On investment).
you’re required to urgently contact your account manager.

Failure to claim your fund as soon as possible will result in disbursement to charity, we will not be held accountable for your loss of funds, you can reach out to an account manager on  (Removed by Forum Team) (whatsapp) or (Removed by Forum Team)@gmail.com for more information.

THANKS
PRECEDENCE TRUST BANK

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 January at 1:00PM
    Options
    This is just me picking up points which doesn't seem legit:

- FSA - Food Standards Agency, should be FCA

- Weird number for a UK what's app mobile number

- Gmail for a company with 3 random numbers.

- Long sentence for body of email.

- Vault and not vault middle of sentence.

- Use of ROI (Return On investment) but didn't do it for Financial Conduct Authority, even though they used FSA (which is wrong anyway).  Also no capital I for Investment.

- THANKS

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,131 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with Marvel that it looks like a scam.  The only point I might contribute is I do believe the FCA was previously the FSA so possibly the scammer hasn't kept up to date.  Think it was changed due to the confusion with the Food Agency.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's not helpful that the Forum Team has now removed the contact details as that might have allowed people to determine the source and decide whether it's valid or not. Perhaps you could re-add the details but in a way that means it doesn't directly go to the originator. Otherwise we're fumbling in the dark.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    It's not helpful that the Forum Team has now removed the contact details as that might have allowed people to determine the source and decide whether it's valid or not. Perhaps you could re-add the details but in a way that means it doesn't directly go to the originator. Otherwise we're fumbling in the dark.
    Contact number started 12362

Email address had (word)742 at Gmail.com
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Legit business are not using Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Lycos etc etc. 

Yep, Gmail accounts are always a dead giveaway.  That, coupled with the very bad grammar, has "scam" written all over it.  I wouldn't "trusty" this email one jot.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Failure to claim your fund as soon as possible will result in disbursement to charity.

Really?  Rather than trying to track down the legal owner of assets they would just shrug their shoulders and go "Bah, we can't be bothered with that, we will just find a charity and hand all our clients money to that instead."

FSA instead of FCA. Trusty board instead of trustee board. Proceeds deposited into a vault?

Of course it's a scam. 
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Failure to claim your fund as soon as possible will result in disbursement to charity.

Really?  Rather than trying to track down the legal howner of assets they would just shrug their shoulders and go "Bah, we can't be bothered with that, we will just find a charity and hand all our clients money to that instead."

FSA instead of FCA. Trusty board instead of trustee board. Proceeds deposited into a vault?

Of course it's a scam. 

Really?  Rather than trying to track down the legal owner of assets they would just shrug their shoulders and go "Bah, we can't be bothered with that, we will just find a charity and hand all our clients money to that instead."

Of course it's a scam. 
    I agree, I see nothing there at all that makes me think it is in  any way legitimate. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,581 Forumite
    Options
    Just screams scam to me as well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business