Italian ATMs

Options
mgfvvc
mgfvvc Posts: 1,181 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 19 January at 3:12AM in Flights, currency & car hire
Last year I needed to withdraw cash in Italy and  I was surprised not to be charged any fees. Using a Chase debit card, this seems to be the cheapest way to buy Euros. 
There are old posts from 2014 and 2019 suggesting that all Italian ATMs are fee free.Is that still the case?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Bank operated ATMs are still typically fee free for withdrawals... can't comment on standalone third party ATMs
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I believe I noticed about four years ago that some banks' ATMs began charging for withdrawals using a foreign card if 'Conversion' was declined, when they previously didn't. One was MPS (Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena). There are many small banks with only a regional presence, I think they are more likely to be free. But card payment can be used for pretty much everything in Italy, small change for a quick coffee etc. is the only use for cash.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've found this app really useful when abroad: https://atmfeesaver.com/

It's not always 100% accurate (data is crowdsourced) but it gives you a good idea of what banks charge what.  Was in Italy last year and pretty sure I found fee free withdrawals at proper bank operated ATMs 
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,370 Forumite
    edited 25 January at 10:46AM
    Options
    A wee bit off the topic, but still in the same ballpark.
    A few years ago we withdrew Euros from an Italian ATM and it dispensed a few 50 Euro notes - so we went into the nearest bank to request exchanging for smaller demoninations - turned into a drama.
    The cashier would not oblige unless we produced a passport - after much pleading she relented and spoke with her colleagues and this turned into a mini conference involving everybody and their dog.
    Fortunately it appeared that somebody up the chain of command was sympathetic to our situation and she grudgingly relented and gave us 10 Euro notes.
    The moral of the story is - carry your passport if you need to transact business there.

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Options

A few years ago we withdrew Euros from an Italian ATM and it dispensed a few 50 Euro notes - so we went into the nearest bank to request exchanging for smaller demoninations - turned into a drama.
    The cashier would not oblige unless we produced a passport -

I can't help being curious. It's normal for a euro ATM to dispense 50€ notes, along with some smaller denominations. Could you not have obtained change when spending it, like anyone else? It's illegal to go around without id documentation in Italy, so failure to present any, plus the strange request, no doubt raised concerns...

Evolution, not revolution
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    eDicky said:

I can't help being curious. It's normal for a euro ATM to dispense 50€ notes, along with some smaller denominations. Could you not have obtained change when spending it, like anyone else? It's illegal to go around without id documentation in Italy, so failure to present any, plus the strange request, no doubt raised concerns...

The local cafe was not too pleased being presented with a 50 Euro note to pay for a coffee and beer, hence the visit to the bank.
    The need for formal ID is accepted - just not our usual practice to carry passports. That requirement also applies to Spain, the only formally legally recognised documentation is a passport - how many Brits comply by having it on their person, or even know that it is the law ?
    Now that payment by plastic is the norm such problems are in the past........hopefully ?

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 25 January at 6:51PM
    Options
    eDicky said:

I've had 100 Euro notes from ATMs, never had any hassle getting change even for small spends, IIRC I used a 100 to buy something costing 2 EUR or so expecting to get a tut or refusal but just got given change with no fuss. Most countries don't have the UK's aversion to high demonination notes, I've used 100 EUR/USD and equivalent values in other currencies loads of time but I've never ever used a UK £50 note!
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Experiences differ obviously.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business