Sky Broadband Social Tariff

Options
mariat
mariat Posts: 159 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 18 January at 3:28PM in Broadband & internet access
I've just called Sky to ask about their Social Tariff, after searching for the same on their website.
It says that, those claiming Pension Credit (along with other means tested benefits), are eligible.
The first agent I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about so transferred me to India (?). She told me I could only get the tariff if I claimed Universal Credit. In the end I had to read from Sky's webpage which lists eligible benefits before she put me on hold and spoke to a manager. She came back and asked for my Universal Credit number. Again I explained I claim Pension Credit so don't have that number. She said she could only help if I have that number. I asked to speak to a manager, she said they are not available, despite the fact she'd just consulted one. I think Sky are being deliberately obstructive.
Does anyone know of a way round this?

Comments

• M25
    M25 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just call again it'll be a different person.

Be clear what you want. Do not give out your NI number to anyone.
  • southsidergs
    southsidergs Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 January at 10:07AM
    Options
    M25 said:
    Just call again it'll be a different person.

Be clear what you want. Do not give out your NI number to anyone.
    Emmmm they'll have to give the NI number for a social tariff so eligibility can be checked

To the OP i suspect when they said UC number they actually meant NI number tbh
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect you'll have the same issues that people are having with Voda's Social Tariff.  There's a thread further down the page.
    These seem more a PR stunt than a real offer, and people are being either not contacted or told they've failed the credit check.

But as M25 says above, you will have to give them your NI number, as they use that to check with the DWP that you're in receipt of the right benefit.
  • LondonLite
    Options
    According to Sky themselves, the social tariff is only for existing customers for 12 months, new customers have to go through NOW Broadband instead.
  • mariat
    mariat Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    According to Sky themselves, the social tariff is only for existing customers for 12 months, new customers have to go through NOW Broadband instead.
    We've been with Sky for 18 years, this is the first time I've had a problem with them. 
  • JAV39
    JAV39 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I called sky on behalf of family member who get pension credits. Sky gave her the run around of dont do it, never heard of it ect. I called them armed with information, it appears most of sky agents dont know most of the things they offer! after a lot of jibber jabber and asking to speak to someone who did have knowledge, it became clear that they really dont care. All they want is the money. Excuse after excuse of why they cant have it, apparently not available in my area....because maybe all pensioners have to live in a special area! well how strange that the reduced cost package give the same internet speed and called the same name except the price is double.... im sure its the same waves that come down the line, its just you dont want to give me the social tarriff!
    Whats the disconnection fees please as i wish to leave... still in contract so will cost over £400. 
    Well guest what, i reduced every thing i could to lower the package, went through to disconnections, after over 80 mins i managed to cancel contract paid nothing, straight on the fone to BT who were amazing and as one disconnects the other is starting for...£15 per month, 12 month contract includes all calls to land lines and mobiles, and they were amazing to deal with. So my advice.....leave Sky, there are some good guys out there, they just dont work for sky
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback