Failed eligibility check for credit card

2»

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nasqueron said:
    I genuinely cannot see why you cannot just setup the card to take the balance in full every month by DD? That would immediately solve all your problems, not least because there is no danger of missed payments e.g. if a reference number is missed/entered incorrectly etc. A DD removes all worries from this scenario and worst case, the DD guarantee covers you if it's not taken.

That said, credit cards are done based on routine - your statement is always the same date (except if it falls on a weekend or bank holiday) and the due date is always the same date (again unless weekend/bank holiday).

My Lloyds one for example always takes the payment on the 15th, it always generates the statement on the 19th, there is no ambiguity or worry about when I need to check if (if I was paying manually) - and the statement tells you the due date regardless.

Even if you insist on paying them manually, you could simply put a reminder on the calendar or phone to get the statement after the date it's generated and you would know the amount and due date from that (or print it off if you're really desperate to keep the paper industry going!)
    We could but I’d like my own card. It may not always be both of us here.
    That is a separate issue though, there has been a lot of useful advice in the posts. I was hoping to provide some further useful advice that would avoid the situation you described in the initial post about working from bank statements coming in the post and not remembering to login and download them.

Make sure you are on the electoral register and perhaps take out a mobile phone contract (SIM only if needed) if you don't have one as that can help build a credit history.

There is a post on here next to yours about the Barclaycard Forward which gives limits from £50-£1200 - even a £50 card will allow you time to build up a credit record of paying on time and in full every month which could help you get a better card / bigger limit over time so, should the worst happen, which hopefully it won't for many years, you would have a card of your own that will be useful to you
  • abc.xyz
    abc.xyz Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 January at 7:34PM
    Who do you have the £60k savings with? If not Lloyds, try applying for a card from them. They'll be able to see you have large (long-term?) savings with them. Failing that, and if you're being rejected due to not meeting income criteria, I'd go into a branch and tell them about your mortgage payments with them/the large amount of (long-term?) savings you hold with them. A branch manager may be able to sort something out for you.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    In terms of minimum income I did some googling.
    Apparently minimum income for Nationwide is 5k based on searcing google for 'Nationwide minimum income for a credit card'.
    I then searched on 'Which UK credit card requires the lowest income' and here are some of the results returned:
    Barclaycard Forward Credit card - £3k. But please note this is the card mentioned in the thread I linked to earlier.
    The next one listed in this particular result set is an M&S card with a minimum income of £6800.
    No mention of the Nationwide card I mentioned in this post.
    But at least you have a starting point.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    abc.xyz said:
    Who do you have the £60k savings with? If not Lloyds, try applying for a card from them. They'll be able to see you have large (long-term?) savings with them. Failing that, and if you're being rejected due to not meeting income criteria, I'd go into a branch and tell them about your mortgage payments with them/the large amount of (long-term?) savings you hold with them. A branch manager may be able to sort something out for you.
    Lloyds or anyone else won't care about the savings - OP could choose to have a year long cruise holiday tomorrow and blow the 60k in an instant, hence it can't be used as some sort of security of a credit card.

I doubt these days there even is a branch manager in the bank, let alone one who'd have the power to override the computer saying no based on their criteria. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    abc.xyz said:
    As credit cards are unsecured lending. Savings form no part of any application or decision..

Savings can disappear overnight. Leaving a lender with a debt, that has little to no chance of being reclaimed.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can your husband not get an additional card ,AMEX are always e mailing me to take out an additional card for my wife.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback