Beware of opt-out roaming charges

Have been to India and turned off mobile data and only used my wifi. Return back after 3 weeks and have 8 ´add on’ charges (£8 each) for data totalling 65 odd pounds. Contacted EE, apparently is a opt out which I didn’t know of at all and my phone mysteriously connected to data 8 times while abroad even though I turned mobile data off on my iPhone. These are opt-out-money-making situations that EE have so cleverly made for themselves. Is this legal?

Comments

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    not sure I understand this - if you turn mobile data off on the phone how can it use data ?
  • Nor do I. The EE customer service guy suggested that it must have defaulted to mobile data when wifi was not available. I find this difficult to believe. I have been their customer for years and have been on the same plan and this has never happened before. 
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,191
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Do you use WiFi calling or sent any images via Mms whilst away? 
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,138
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It sounds like the OP has Wifi-Assist turned on. If WiFi signal is poor or lost then the iPhone will use Mobile Data. 

The phone warns you about this

What OP should have done is either leave phone at home  or take the SIM out. 

If you must take the SIM then turn off roaming, switch on airplane mode and then switch WiFi on manually only when needed

When you think how much the flights, accomodation and ancillary expenses are then £8 a day doesn't seem too bad. Especially in a country where mobile phone use is notoriously expensive.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback