Cancelling broadband disadvantages?

Options
Hi all, I’m currently with Plusnet, who I’ve found to be pretty good, reasonably stable, faults fixed promptly etc. However, my contract expires shortly and there doesn’t seem to be any decent deals around, Plusnet would be £23.99 a month, Vodafone £24 and similar prices (and upwards) for other ‘proper’ suppliers. 
Are there any disadvantages to simply cancelling my broadband altogether and tether my mobile data for tv, laptops etc?
We don’t need a landline, have enough data allowance and mobile speed isn’t far behind the broadband speed anyway. 
So we’d save £24 a month while waiting for a better broadband deal, if we even missed having it at all. 
I’m assuming there must be a disadvantage to this idea and must be missing something. 
Thanks for your thoughts. 

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Before cancelling, give it a trial run , some people use mobile only and are perfectly happy , others regret it as although the speed is OK , it’s not as consistent as a ‘landline’ type service , if you already have a mobile and can use it as a mobile hotspot , simply turn off your Plusnet for a day and see if you are happy with it .
  • Nic60
    Nic60 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks iniltous. We’ve only used it when the broadband was down so that’s a good suggestion. Cheers. 👍
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Check if your mobile plan allows tethering, not all do. We tethered to my mobile for a few days when our broadband went down. The speed was slower than the broadband was, but quite acceptable for most things. The biggest disadvantage was the inconvenience involved - having to turn the tethering off when I went out to save battery, having to keep my phone plugged in when I was at home so it wouldn't run down too much, having to switch over to someone elses phone when I went out etc. We have a number of echos, tablets etc so it got a big awkward, and our heating is wired to the router so we coudn't change the schedule on that. The other disadvantage of course is that there is one less backup if the phone network has a problem, or a phone gets dropped etc.
  • Desmond_Hume
    Desmond_Hume Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    What would you classify as a “decent deal”?
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also it’s usually worth phoning the broadband suppliers to get a better offer. But I agree with giving it a go. The only thing I can think of is if there might be disconnection/reconnection costs if you changed your mind
  • Nic60
    Options
    Well less than I’m currently paying would be a good start. 
  • Desmond_Hume
    Desmond_Hume Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Nic60 said:
    NowTV.  £20 for 11Mbps. 
  • Nic60
    Options
    Nic60 said:
    NowTV.  £20 for 11Mbps. 
    I’ve looked at that previously. When clicked it says I’m not eligible and goes to the next one up at £23, so comparable to staying with Plusnet. I don’t think Now have a great customer service record, possibly explained by being part of Sky?
    Thanks though. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 January at 10:17PM
    Options
    Nic60 said:
    NowTV.  £20 for 11Mbps. 
    I’ve looked at that previously. When clicked it says I’m not eligible and goes to the next one up at £23
    Possibly because you've already got FTTC/VDSL and you can't downgrade to ADSL? Does anyone know if this is a rule?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    QrizB said:
    Nic60 said:
    NowTV.  £20 for 11Mbps. 
    I’ve looked at that previously. When clicked it says I’m not eligible and goes to the next one up at £23
    Possibly because you've already got FTTC/VDSL and you can't downgrade to ADSL? Does anyone know if this is a rule?
    Don't think Openreach will re-install ADSL2 once the connection has been moved across to the fibre cab..for FTTC
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback