IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Penalty Notice - Not received & escalated to debt collector

Any advice would be gratefully received. 

During October, I received a debt collection notice for an unpaid parking fine for £170, 2 days after being discharged from an extended hospital stay.
Original parking fine (£60 within 14 days of issue) was supposedly sent out at the start of September ('23). I work from home 90% of the time and it definitely did not turn up. 

(I don't dispute that I shouldn't have had the fine, even though it was a 2 min overstay for a car park adjacent to the hotel car park we were staying in. My issue is with not having the parking charge issued to me in the first place and it being escalated without any opportunity to appeal or pay the reduced fine) 

Both debt collector & parking company have taken the line that I failed to pay the original fine within the given 14 days and that I owe the escalated fee now. Neither was willing to look at the case as both claimed that it was the others decision to make. Felt like I was going around in circles. 

If I remember correctly, at the start of September there was a lot of stuff in the news about postal issues, which I think may have been the cause of the fine going missing. 

Does anyone know what I can do?

Have been to the sorting office, nothing there. 
The parking fine issuer has given me "proof" that it was sent, but all this turned out to be was a receipt of a franking service from a 3rd party provider who I assume sends the fines on the parking companies behalf. 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,645
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A - its not a fine

B - ignore everything now until, or even if, a court claim is issued.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 57,927
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It is neither a fine nor a penalty.

Plan A is always a complaint to the landowner and your MP, and it is never too late to do so.

Plan B is to appeal, which you have already done.

Plan C is an appeal to PoPLA if the PPC is a BPA member, or ignore it if the PPC is an IAS member.

Debt collectors are powerless and can safely be ignored.

All this information is explained in the sticky Announcement for NEWBIES on the main forum page where you clicked on the New Thread button.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,119
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Which parking firm?
    Which debt collector?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,102
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 16 January at 3:52PM
    It hasn't escalated and no-one pays these, regardless of whether the 'fake PCN' turned up in the post or not.  You are focussing on the wrong thing and wrongly thinking it's a fine that's escalated.  It hasn't.  It isn't.

Read the NEWBIES thread 4th post.

don't dispute that I shouldn't have had the fine, even though it was a 2 min overstay for a car park adjacent to the hotel car park we were staying in
    Yes you certainly do dispute it!  Parking charges (these are not fines) can't be issued for 2 minute overstays.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback