No service for over a month - what compensation should I push for?

Options
Switched provider last month to Yayzi on the City Fibre network, the install was booked for the 15th December but failed due to some access issue with Cityfibre needing to access a port owned by Openreach.
They rectified the issue 5 days later, but I’ve never been able to get an internet connection on the line. Tried the router Yayzi supplied (which was defective), tried my old Eero mesh network, and purchased a new router from Amazon - none worked. Tried all the usual troubleshooting with Yayzi’s support team and nothing worked, so they said they’d get an engineer sent out by Christmas. Needless to say an engineer didn’t show up on the day they were booked to. Nor the other 2 occasions they were booked. 
So I’ve had 3 missed engineer visits and 32 days of no service, and I’ve reached the end of my tether so asking for the contract to be cancelled and the line released so I can sign up to Vodafone instead. 
As Yayzi aren’t on the Ofcom auto compensation scheme, what sort of compensation should I be expecting from them? This would be on top of the £80 in public WiFi charges and additional £45 in mobile data I’ve been charged to try get online during this period (and given I work 100% remotely it’s been a significant impact)
Buy My First House During A Pandemic Challenge
26/7 Nationwide 90% LTV Application Received | 26/7 Soft Credit Search | 4/8 Hard Search | 14/8 Underwriter questions | 17/8 Valuation booked | 19/8 Physical valuation & report received | 7/9 Mortgage offer | 27/11 Exchange & Completion

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 January at 7:30AM
    Options
    I think you'll be lucky to cover your costs. £125 for a month's public WiFi and mobile data seems a bit extreme when you can get an unlimited mobile SIM for under £30.
    Is this a business contract or a residential one?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • leodis23
    leodis23 Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Residential. Every time I email them they'd promise they were calling City Fibre and that it would be fixed, so I was having to pay for EE Wifi in 5 day chunks (£19.99 a pop). If I'd have known in advance how long this would have gone on for I could have paid £39 for a month
    Buy My First House During A Pandemic Challenge
    26/7 Nationwide 90% LTV Application Received | 26/7 Soft Credit Search | 4/8 Hard Search | 14/8 Underwriter questions | 17/8 Valuation booked | 19/8 Physical valuation & report received | 7/9 Mortgage offer | 27/11 Exchange & Completion
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    "This would be on top of the £80 in public WiFi charges and additional £45 in mobile data I’ve been charged to try get online during this period " Not a snowballs chance of getting any of that back as that was your decision. You'd be lucky to £20-£40 compensation and that only if you continue with your contract. Be aware that asking them to release the line will take even longer so if there's a resolution shortly you'll be without even longer.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    City Fibre don’t use Openreach ‘ports’ , so that’s nonsense, City Fibre can and  do use PIA ( physical infrastructure access ) to use Openreach poles , ducts , and jointboxes but it’s always their own equipment, not Openreach’s , so if CF have an issue it’s got nothing at all to do with Openreach .

As far as compensation from a company that isn’t part of the Ofcom automatic compensation scheme , good luck with that , they may offer a credit on the bill or something like that , but are unlikely to offer much if anything, otherwise they would have joined the compensation scheme .
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If City Fibre are an alt-net, does this mean the OP's Openreach line is still present? He could sign back up with an Openreach provider today?
    (And, at least in principle, he could've kept his old broadband in parallel with City Fibre, at least until he was happy with CF's service?)
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback