Anyone using hmrc PAYE tool?

Options
I’m assuming it’s very straightforward for a sole trader with one employee earning £580 monthly?
I’ve just downloaded it onto my laptop, my Wife (who does my books and tax returns) was hoping to be able to get to grips with it before April when I will be registering as her employer/ paying enough to get NI credits.  Unfortunately you can’t get past the first page as it requires Employer Number etc.  which I can’t do for a few more weeks. 
I’ve also noticed something about Auto-enrolment registration requirements, which I didn’t know I’d have to go through, even though she won’t earn enough to be a part of it - is it just a case of ticking a box saying so?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you need to do a bit more pension research. Before the days of auto enrolment, I ran a small payroll and had to set up a scheme, even though no-one was likely to join it. Even though your wife won't earn enough to have to either join or opt out, she can choose to opt in. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Singlemummy_2
    Singlemummy_2 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look into a payroll company, for one employee the costs are likely to be minimal and at least everything will be correct 
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Use Nest, easy to open an account. You then meet the pension requirements.

You've not yet registered as an employer? Then you can't run payroll.
  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yeah, No. My Wife won’t hand over any kind of control to a third party - not paying someone else to input minimal information.
       I/ she simply wanted to know about using the Basic PAYE tool
    I don’t need to open ANY kind of pension account, we both have our own Sipps.   
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Payroll tools is pretty easy to use once you've got all the necessary information, such as employer payroll number.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SVaz said:
    Yeah, No. My Wife won’t hand over any kind of control to a third party - not paying someone else to input minimal information.
       I/ she simply wanted to know about using the Basic PAYE tool
    I don’t need to open ANY kind of pension account, we both have our own Sipps.   
    You need to declare to the Pension Regulator who your company pension provider is. It's a legal requirement
  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 16 January at 5:04PM
    Options
    I haven’t got a company, I’m a sole trader.
    I’ve done the online check on the TPR site and I don’t have to open a pension scheme as I won’t be paying her £10k+ . 
    I do however have to ‘declare my compliance’ 🙄 once I’m set up as an employer. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback