Fee free termination of BT contract

Options
Since digital switchover BT are not providing me with service that I am paying for.  Numerous calls and an engineer visit since 18 December 2023 have not managed to rectify faulty.  The engineer has confirmed the fault but stated he was unable to rectify it and agreed to escalate matter.  Two complaints have been submitted but all I get is we're looking into your complaint.  Can I terminate my contract without paying a cancellation charge.  BT seem to feel that I have to pay the monthly fee until the end of my contract.

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds like BT are working on resolving your issue.  The fault has been confirmed and whilst the engineer could not fix it in the first instance, the issue is being escalated.
    I doubt that creating two complaints, over the holiday period, was the best idea.  It creates more work and you won't get double the compensation.
    You need to wait until the issue is resolved before discussing compensation and options for terminating the contract early.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is highly likely that the issue is being investigated by Openreach so you also need to consider your options if they are unable to fix the problem. 

What would be your next step if you terminated your contract with BT? It is highly likely that the problem would continue with another supplier using the Openreach network so you be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. 
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    453050 said:
    Since digital switchover BT are not providing me with service that I am paying for.  Numerous calls and an engineer visit since 18 December 2023 have not managed to rectify faulty.  The engineer has confirmed the fault but stated he was unable to rectify it and agreed to escalate matter.  Two complaints have been submitted but all I get is we're looking into your complaint.  Can I terminate my contract without paying a cancellation charge.  BT seem to feel that I have to pay the monthly fee until the end of my contract.

Your service is not 100% guaranteed uptime.
    Badgering them over the Christmas period was probably not a good idea.

If you want dibs on fault repair you need to be on a business tariff, otherwise you're back of the queue.

You should get compensation in due course, wihch will usually be a credit on your bill:

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Being allowed to leave a minimum term penalty free is only after the provider has been given time  to sort the problem out , and has failed to solve whatever the issue was , and after this period the ISP offers the consumer the option to leave the contract and use someone else ( so you cannot simply say I chose to leave penalty free ) it’s also really for when the speed of broadband isn’t what was promised, or if speed falls below the minimum the customer was told to expect.

The OP doesn’t actually say what the issue is , but because they mentioned it’s since they were converted to DV , presumably it’s something to do with the telephone side of the connection, and not the broadband, obviously telephony is easier to determine if it’s working or not ( unlike broadband where someone may say it’s very slow but it’s never slow when the technician checks ) 

To give any real advice the ZoP needs to say what the problem is , and what has been attempted to try and fix it 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback