IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Our old friend Gloucester Peel Centre

Options
So here's a question:

I am fighting a PCN from VCS, who managed the Peel Centre car park in 2022. We are at the court stage & my witness statement is submitted.

However, I've just found out that some time in July 2023, Peel parted company with VCS and are now using Ocean Parking to manage the car park.

I am already challenging VCS's landowner contract as it is not clear that they may bring proceedings in the landowner's name. Given that VCS are no longer managing the car park, does this strengthen my case that they have no foundation to bring proceedings? Or have they managed to slip the net on this one given that the claim is dated June 2023?

I still have a very strong case based on all the usual stuff (no use of POFA, failure to identify driver, double-dipping, unfair terms etc), but I feel this will just tip everything over the edge if VCS no longer have any standing with the landowner.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    They can bring a case regardless of no longer infesting (not 'managing!) a site.  They had landowner authority on the material date.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • SmallBoat
    SmallBoat Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Fair enough. I thought that would probably be the case but am looking for all possible leverages of course.

The landowner only permits them to pursue charges in accordance with the POFA and they've already acknowledged twice that they're not doing that, so I think I'm pretty safe on landowner contract.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Super court report .... and thank you so much for updating your thread. Well, what a good win.  As I was reading through your post, I was saying to myself 'Oh no, this is going to be a loss', but smiled contentedly as I read your penultimate paragraph. Tough time, but 'the good guy won'. 

You should start writing suspense novels! 😁
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 28 March at 5:47PM
    Options
    Same!  I didn't know the test at the end until I read it.  Nicely done.

ANOTHER VCS ONE BITES THE DUST!
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     He then questioned me directly on who the driver was, and I didn't feel able to withhold information under direct questioning in court, so the full driver details were then disclosed. I was blamed for withholding this in my Witness Statement and previously in my submissions to VCS, even though at the time I was being challenged as the keeper.
    Which law states that anyone has to disclose the driver's name; only that if you are defending as keeper but were actually the driver, say so?
  • nopcns
    nopcns Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You had every right to refuse to disclose the drivers details to the judge. However I understand how you felt intimidated into giving away the details. If you had refused, the judge is still not allowed to infer that you were the driver just because of your refusal to answer the question.

The judge should only base their decision on the facts before them.  If a judgement were made, after a refusal to answer a question, based on an assumption or inference that you must have been the driver, then that judgment is ripe for an appeal.
  • SmallBoat
    SmallBoat Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone. There's quite a big difference between sitting on the internet saying 'there's no law that says you have to disclose' and sitting in front of a judge who is not only asking you direct questions, but is also assuming that you are the driver unless you tell him otherwise. I really didn't want to have to take this up to appeals court for the sake of a £100 error.

But, anyway, lessons have been learned.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 5 April at 2:52PM
    Options
    Which Judge & Court was it?

There is no legal presumption you were driving and there is persuasive case law on that, supporting your position, from a Circuit Judge last year.

But you were right to answer a direct question from a Judge.  I've been at hearings with similar barked questions about who was driving, in cases where the Defendant was not. Totally unneeded.  Irrelevant even.

Some Judges overstep the mark.  I get it. You fielded it well (showed you were not the driver) and won your case.  Nicely done.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback