Warning - You may be paying an additional £6 for NOWTV "Boost" service without realising.

Options
I signed up for NOWTV £4.99 six monthly subscription during Black Friday week and made a calendar note to cancel after six months.

I noticed on my bank account that in December I was charged an additional £6 for BOOST.  I had do idea what that was.  It was in the small print of the advert and it was free for one month then charged £6 automatically thereafter.

I've cancelled it now.  The £6 is to watch on 3 devices which I don't use I only watch on one device and HD Surround Sound, (I don't think my TV supports HD Surround Sound), so have been paying for nothing.  I didn't notice this when I saw the advert.  I received an email receipt after I signed up which states:-

WHAT YOU'VE BOUGHT

Entertainment Membership £4.99
Stream over 300 box sets and the latest must-see TV shows on channels you won’t find on Freeview.

Boost £0.00
Stream ad-free in full HD with surround sound, and watch on up to 3 devices at the same time.

And then underneath - easy to miss

Your membership will roll on from month to month. If you’re on an offer or minimum-term plan, you’ll start paying the standard price when your offer or plan ends. If you’re on a free trial, we’ll take your first monthly payment when your trial ends, unless you cancel before then. Check out the T&Cs below to see what you’ll pay. For details of exactly what you’ll be charged and when, log in to My Account.

NOW Boost will only roll on each month if you also have an active monthly membership.

I know it is up to the customer to check this, but with busy lives it's often too easy to skim through the wording.  At least I spotted it early.

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes - you have to watch that; I've had my free boost convert to paid (but spotted it)
  • pete-20-11
    pete-20-11 Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yes, they got me with this last year. One month trial of boost and two months of entertainment. You assume both trials end at the same time. I complained and got the boost refunded. 
    PPI success. Banding success. Double Dip PCN cancelled! South facing solar (Midlands) and battery. Savings Session supporter.
  • thriftytracey
    thriftytracey Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, they got me with this last year. One month trial of boost and two months of entertainment. You assume both trials end at the same time. I complained and got the boost refunded. 
    I also complained but the live chat representative would not refund it.  In fact he cut me off even though I wasn't abusive (other than saying it was sharp practice - easy to miss, etc).
  • Desmond_Hume
    Desmond_Hume Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Boost is a complete joke. Paying for 1080p in 2023 is nothing short of a riot. With that said, it was clear when I signed up for 6 months of Cinema in December that BOOST was only free for one month. So I declined it altogether. 
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,236 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They caught me this year with that, on the try it for a quid offer alongside Now cinema, I never spotted it rolled over but cancelled it now of course. Lesson learnt.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback