We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Garden stones

Options
gadget88
gadget88 Posts: 206 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Can anybody keen gardens advise which stones these are? Someone told me Moonstone last year and I ordered 3 bags and they would not match up also tried costwold and they are too bright. Any ideas? 

Comments

• gadget88
    edited 14 January at 6:10AM
    Options

Maybe they were another brand those moonstone but wouldn’t match up seemed to have a few more pebble ones as seen at top. Could they be Yorkshire cream or another moonstone brand?
  • gadget88
    edited 14 January at 6:23AM
    Options

Definitely not Cotswold. Looking for something to blend in rather than anything too bright and taking them all up
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,756 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Tbh, I would grab a handful of what you are try to match to and trundle round your local garden centres and builders merchants and match it that way. Be aware that whatever you see in these places will be dusty, so if you think you have a possible match wash off a sample of the one you might buy with a small water bottle to see if it looks like a match without the dust.

KK
    As at 17.03.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £255,571, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 14 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 1st May)
    Produce tracker: £22.24 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 January at 9:31AM
    Options
    I think I have the same stones. I could do with some more too. Mine came from Wickes or B&Q as I collected it. Wickes don't do it now as I looked recently. If I can recall what it was called I will post again.

Moonstone doesn't ring a bell with me. Keep in mind the photos online tend to be with the stone wet

Edit: I think mine may be Solent Gold from B&Q but maybe it's a little more gold than yours 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I know what they are but for the life of me can't think of the name.
    Same as i have and many others.
    They are the cheapest which is a bonus.
    All builders yards keep them in. Same size bags but cheaper than shops.
    If it's only one bag I get them to put them on the back seat of the car near the door. Then at home slit the plastic and tip as some in a bucket and do it in stages.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Cheslea2010
    Cheslea2010 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It will totally depend on your location in the country as to whether your local builders merchant will have it. A builders merchant will stock local 20mm Gravel as it is the cheapest. 20mm Gravels are all different depending on the quarry they come from so finding a match will prove to be tricky unless you can find out which quarry it came from.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    My local place has a huge box of samples, a bit like this: 

But it could be you don't find an exact match... depending on the area you need to fill, is it possible to rake out some of what you've currently got and mix it in with the new stuff, then spread it over a wider area to blend? Rather than take the whole lot up IYSWIM? 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The b&Q Solent Gold are tiny 10mm stones so no good.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You'd be surprised Arbs. What the op has is standard in the building trade. It's the cheapest so leaving it to the owner to change for something fancier if necessary.
    That's a reasonable selection. Harvest Gold is the nearest but there is a trade name.
    I'll pop in tomorrow for the name if I survive the dentist.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Cheslea2010
    Cheslea2010 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Lorian said:
    The b&Q Solent Gold are tiny 10mm stones so no good.
    Solent Gold is also available in 20mm
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure