Hit and run over by an unmanned landscape truck in public park

Hi everyone, 
I was walking with friends, descending a hill when a vehicle’s handbrake failed apparently (that had been parked at the top of the hill). Unfortunately we didn’t hear it coming and it ran into me, knocking me out cold and running over my body before then knocking into my friends before crashing at the bottom of the hill. I have a broken shoulder, sprained ankle and various bruises but I’m alive and it could have been so much worse, for which we are all so very thankful.

My work employee assistance programme signposted me to National Accident Helpline but at this stage I just want to navigate this mine field that I find myself in. The park have provided details of their vehicle insurance policy. What should I do first? What should I not do? Is it better to find a solicitor to talk through rather than the compensation panels? 

Thank you. 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,265
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    First I'd say keep a list of every expense, appointment, result, time off work, impact of that as you may need to refer back to it.  Don't trust your memory because things may take a long time.  

Do you have a union at work that could assist you??  Unite, for one, has a legal division that can help with all sorts of things, not just job related.  Or there may be another employment link where legal advice is an option.  Other than that maybe an initial chat with National Accident Helpline would at least focus your thoughts?  And check if there's any legal cover on your car/house/contents insurance.  

Have you called the park's insurance company to ensure a claim has been set up?? 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 300
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 January at 5:42PM
    Did the police attend the incident?

If not that would be my starting point to make everything as formal as possible. They should be called to any accident that results in injury

Do yo also have legal cover on your home insurance?

Steer clear of any of these injury at work style companies
  • Brie said:
    First I'd say keep a list of every expense, appointment, result, time off work, impact of that as you may need to refer back to it.  Don't trust your memory because things may take a long time.  

Do you have a union at work that could assist you??  Unite, for one, has a legal division that can help with all sorts of things, not just job related.  Or there may be another employment link where legal advice is an option.  Other than that maybe an initial chat with National Accident Helpline would at least focus your thoughts?  And check if there's any legal cover on your car/house/contents insurance.  

Have you called the park's insurance company to ensure a claim has been set up?? 
    Totally agree with Brie. My partner had an accident at work and I did a spreadsheet documenting every expense which was backed up by a receipt. You have to think that if you give a solicitor (if you go down that route) a big muddled up pile of receipts they will charge you to get it back into order which will eat into any compensation.

You should be able to get some an initial free consultation with a solicitor so see what they will say. It sounds like a clear cut case so am sure they will be keen to represent you.

• baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,075
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Aren’t National Accident Helpline a firm of ambulance chasers and likely to claim a fat % of any monies they manage to claim on your behalf?  Surely it’s possible to go it alone or with the assistance of a union or insurance company and get yourself the full settlement
  • LMT_3
    LMT_3 Posts: 5
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Did the police attend the incident?

If not that would be my starting point to make everything as formal as possible. They should be called to any accident that results in injury

Do yo also have legal cover on your home insurance?

Steer clear of any of these injury at work style companies
    Yes, there were apparently 5 police cars that arrived on scene before the ambulance got there but once they’d handed over to the ambulance crew they weren’t particularly interested since it took place in the park (non highway) (this is what my friends told me) - I don’t think even a police reference number was provided. It is HSE reportable though due to my broken shoulder so that’s something. 
  • LMT_3
    LMT_3 Posts: 5
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you everyone, some good tips there :) 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,069
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Any legal expenses insurance may be able to provide a lawyer for - eg home, motor, union. Normally a no win no fee solicitor will take a success fee, for injuries its capped at 25% of your compensation.

As others have said, keep receipts from anything. 

Finally... it's a long game. Some insurers will do an almost immediate "go away" offer but assuming you don't accept at that its a long time for medical reports, settlements can't even be discussed until the medical professionals are confident to give a long term prognosis of all of your injuries etc. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback