Can’t contact a creditor

Options
I remember a while back owing Vodafone some money and at the time I literally couldn’t afford to pay it. 

Since then I have moved house and my surname has changed. 

Out of the blue a default for £48 appeared on my credit report and linked to me through my old name which is all correct. 

On the report it says start date 2014, default issued 2023, is that correct? 

I want to pay this £48 but when I contact them they can’t locate the account. 

The report has *** on most of the account number line. 

What are my next steps? 

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

On the report it says start date 2014, default issued 2023, is that correct? 

We have no reason to doubt you, but we have no way of checking.

Submit a SAR - see what it turns up.

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Unfortunately its very common for debts to mobile networks to remain unpaid, they tend to take a "one size fits all" approach to collection of these accounts, which would normally involve defaulting and sale to a 3rd party.

Such debts are not always chased up by the new owner, as the debtor can`t always be traced, change of address and name may have put you in that category.

A SAR may or may not get you the answers you seek, paying the debt will not remove the default.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • potentialhousebuyer
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I will submit a SAR to Vodafone. Much appreciated. 
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can also argue that the default should be in line with the guidance of issuing after 2-3 missed contractual payments - assuming the default is legitimate and wasn't actually last year?
  • potentialhousebuyer
    Options
    The phone contract was taken out in late 2014 and does have the address I lived at at the time recorded on my credit file. 

I remember receiving letters on and off and haven’t heard anything from them for years. 

There was no default even registered on my credit file until back end of 2023 for £48. So it’s weird why they have done this now. 
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The question would be when it actually defaulted (if at all) as it should really have been done after a few months of failing to pay - it's possible it has been sold on and the debt buyer has done the default to try and force your hand. The question is whether you acknowledged the debt in the last 6 years - you could send them a statute barred letter (Debt Camel has some) and see what they come back with and if they cannot prove it it legit, they have to remove it. They key thing is not to change the template and not admit the debt
  • potentialhousebuyer
    Options
    So do I send these to Vodafone? As that’s what it’s listed as under my credit file and no deny agency. 

Will I need to include information about new address and surname? As they have changed since I last dealt with them. 
  • potentialhousebuyer
    Options
    I sent a letter to Vodafone and they refused to provide any details since my surname and address have changed and want proof, should I just send this to them? 

After checking my credit file again, it says start date November 2014, default October 2022 and then it appeared on my file in 2023. 

Can they or someone else add a default after 8 years? 

The other suggestion I have had is raise a dispute through the credit reference agency. 

I know it’s a small amount but I was looking to secure a mortgage and now think this £48 will scupper things. 

Id love to just pay it but no one can locate it to allow me to do so. 
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

After checking my credit file again, it says start date November 2014, default October 2022 and then it appeared on my file in 2023. 

Can they or someone else add a default after 8 years? 

Are you saying that you defaulted immediately upon taking out the contract?   That seems unusual, unless it was pre-planned.

The default should have been added within 2-3 months of missed payments. 
  • potentialhousebuyer
    potentialhousebuyer Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 February at 2:50PM
    Options
    No, sorry, that is badly worded. 

I can’t remember the exact dates, but it was within a few months of taking out the contract that I stopped paying (which I am happy to admit to and know it was a bad idea), as I was getting no signal for long periods of time and Vodafone would not help me. 

So it would have been early 2015 I stopped paying, but it still seems odd the default came 7 years after that. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback