Tarriffs with lowest standing charges/no standing charges?

Options
2»

Comments

• Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 25 March at 12:00AM
    Options
    When my sister came off her last 2 year electric fix in Feb last year - her standing charge literally doubled.  c30p daily - Over £100 extra per year as in at the time iirc the second most expensive region (S Scotland)

My Apr rise will take my DR (only small differences from single rate) electric SC to 55.7p (up over 5p - slightly lower than than ave this time, and much much lower than the worst impacted region - going up c14p/day to c70p iirc, but one lucky (sic!) region did drop -0.6p iirc to in the Ofgem tables). 

Apr 22 a really big step - when jumped 20p

In last 2 years
    23.85p Oct 21 rose to
    44.84p in Apr 22  up 21p /  88% inc SoLR
    45.85p in Oct 22  up 1p  / 2%
    50.4p in Apr 23 up 4.65p / 9.9%  (slightly below Ofgem)
    50.7p in Jan 24 up 0.3p to match Ofgem / 0.6%
    55.72 in Apr 24 up 5p / 9.9%

55.72 / 23.85 = 2.34 - 134% price rise in 2 years effectively.

Would have to look up gas - intermediates - but Oct 21-  22 = was 26.1p to 27.2p just 1.1p (iirc SoLR went on unit rates) and Apr 24 = 31.43 (regional averages)

31.43/26.1 = just 20% over similar time frame.

I dont mind paying for the infrastructure - but I do mind some of the other components (arguably role of state benefits and wage levels etc). 
    And although I don't like UKs renewables approach as a means to net zero - it's seemingly inevitably will continue.
    The one I really objected to was SoLR levies - (as high as £68 in Apr 2022 cap or 18.6p per day - recovered iirc from mix of electric SC and gas unit rates) being forced on us all.
  • johnc
    johnc Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depending on how long you're travelling for, might be worth contacting your current supplier to ask if they would wave the charges - I know some do while houses are being sold etc. 

Also with the Utilitia tariff, check the T&Cs as I remember at least a while ago they had a minimum use requirement - and if you've not noticed, they're prepay only (so might need a smart meter/prepay meter installing, which might cause issues if you want to switch back to someone else later - getting it changed back to a credit meter)
    That's interesting - will ask EDF about that. Thanks.

Yes having looked into the Utilitia tariff I found that the higher rates negated the standing charge I currently pay so there would be very little difference since there is a minimal amount of usage (guessing from the fridge freezer). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback