Tarriffs with lowest standing charges/no standing charges?

Options
johnc
johnc Posts: 39 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi,

I'm away travelling and I'm wondering if there's any tarriffs with no standing charges or low standing charges that I can switch to while I'm not using any electricity! Seems a challenge to find anything related to that detail on Google. 

Comments

• MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Utilita, but they load up the first couple of kWh for both electricity and gas.

No such thing as a free lunch but it may work for you.

• Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    According to the ML article linked from the blog post "pinned" at the top of the board

Utilita is now the only zero standing charge option.

"Instead it charges a much higher unit rate for the first 2kWh of daily use – which effectively works a bit like a standing charge, unless you have absolutely zero or very low usage.

Overall, this means for most users it works out roughly similar to the Price Cap on typical use. Yet for those who are away for very substantial periods or don't use any energy for periods, it could work out cheaper."

Make sure you do the maths carefully.

Looking at both initial units and then subsequent - and comparing to SVT SC and rates.

• wrf12345
    wrf12345 Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you Utilita any good on customer service? Looks like you can save roughly sixty quid on gas if you only use it for heating for three months and electric is neutral for me. I am still working through my credit on Brit Gas but post winter may give it a go.
  • johnc
    johnc Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks - will check out Utilitia and do the clalculations 
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 16 January at 4:22PM
    Options
    Depending on how long you're travelling for, might be worth contacting your current supplier to ask if they would wave the charges - I know some do while houses are being sold etc. 

Also with the Utilitia tariff, check the T&Cs as I remember at least a while ago they had a minimum use requirement - and if you've not noticed, they're prepay only (so might need a smart meter/prepay meter installing, which might cause issues if you want to switch back to someone else later - getting it changed back to a credit meter)
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Depending on how long you're travelling for, might be worth contacting your current supplier to ask if they would wave the charges - I know some do while houses are being sold etc. 
    Totally off topic and I'm so sorry, I know that was a typo and we all know exactly what you meant, but that gave me such a funny mental image! :lol:  Imagining someone doing a coy little wave at a paper bill :lol:
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Blue_Max said:
    Will the First Rate be collected for the first 2 kWh of gas or electricity even if no gas or electricity was used on a particular day?

There has to be use for there to be a charge, so zero use = zero charge.

• wrf12345
    wrf12345 Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agile and Tracker on Octopus are fixed for 12 months so you can lock the current s/c's in, avoiding the rapacious rise in April...
  • lib21by
    lib21by Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And to put some figures on that, an email from my energy supplier starting " Good News - you'll pay less for your energy with us from April " made me look back -
    Certainly the price per kwh of gas has fluctuated wildly, but the new price from April on is 18% LESS than pre the Autumn of 2022
    Over the same period the cost of the standing charge has risen quietly but steadily each of the 4 times that there has been a change. The total change over the same period is an INCREASE of 17%
    Politicians please note 
  • Grizzlebeard
    Grizzlebeard Posts: 284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm a very low energy consumer.
    My standing charge rise will outstrip unit rate fall so I'm estimated to pay £30 per year more under new pricing.
    I guess anyone with a jacuzzi, or, say, high ranking MPs in Mansions with indoor swimming pools, will thankfully be paying £thousands less.
    (Not griping about my own pocket, I live lean for eco-lifestyle reasons. I've more than enough money to be comfortable, but millions of families really don't.)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback