Octopus refused my refund request

124»

Comments

• Strebor
    Strebor Posts: 91 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 February at 11:00PM
    angeljs said:
    I'm so sorry for not getting back, I received no notification of any replies. They said they needed to update my account as there was something wrong with the readings, even though I have a smart meter. 

Last week, after I badgered them again, they said I had over £900 credit and could have a refund of over £700.

Now it's changed again with only £600, and still no sign of a refund.

At one point my account showed over £1200 credit, I'm very confused.

My normal direct debit is £199 per month. 
    I have had the same experience........smart meters for a year, they've done bills , I've been in credit and at over 600 for quite a while, I've also reduced use this season so won't spend as much..........emails get a non answer about bill gap calculation, and no answer to how long or what it is. I have sent 4 follow up emails and still no answer and the last one was a compliant that the 3rd email was answered by a bot, that "understood my question, didn't answer, then asked if I had any specific questions.....just ask,". I have several times!!!

During the last weeks the credit went up to over 4k, and then 2.5k and now at 1.3k.......and still no answers to my email.

I am not.sure.what is going on, or why.

It makes me wonder if they are going to be able to keep afloat.

Appreciate any answers from people on here as to what is going on.

I signed up for smart meters and app to keep track of things, and have been making changes to reduce consumption as supposed to do and now they appear to be changing goal posts. What is the point of smart meters? If, as they appear, they can't keep track of back then up with reasonable time scale on customer service.

I have had awful experience prior with the NPower debacle.......they never got any bills right in the year I tried them.......compensated for that.....what with the COVID, etc its just very concerning how the industry is operating, or not operating!

I did manage to reduce my DD on the app, but that won't help with my need to manage my bills at the end of the month,.and I've made them aware of that in the emails.........I wanted to have the credit to cover something, then get back to normal........I will be covering the bills in the coming months as reduced consumption.
  • Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Honestly no idea why anyone is on a fixed DD with octopus when 

A) interest rates make it beneficial to have the money earning you some extra money
    B) octopus accept AMEX for one off payments so you can go on variable DD and make card payments before the DD goes and get cashback for it.

Much easier money than wondering what half hourly agile slot to run the washing machine in.
  • Strebor
    edited 21 February at 11:17PM
    Thanks bendo, I've been thinking along those lines......I wanted my credit back and was going to look into it. I thought the credit was mine and thought it a formality. I can't quite believe the run around I've been given by octopus having believed they were better and with smart meters too.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Strebor said:
    Thanks bendo, I've been thinking along those lines......I wanted my credit back and was going to look into it. I thought the credit was mine and thought it a formality. I can't quite believe the run around I've been given by octopus having believed they were better and with smart meters too.
    Just phone them and switch to Variable Direct Debit and then you'll be in full control.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ringing Octopus is often the easiest way to get a problem resolved. They usually answer the phone within 5 minutes and you get to speak to a human! 

Are Octopus actually getting the readings from the smart meters? Sometimes there are problems so it's worth checking you are being billed on actual usage and not estimates. Have a look at the meters (not the little display thing you have plugged in) and check the readings match what you have been billed for.

Variable DD works great for many people but you need to be sure you can afford the higher bills each month over winter and budget for them. 
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Strebor
    edited 22 February at 3:00PM
    Thanks for replies, I hope it's help to OP too.

The latest is no email replies, but the app under billing shows a button to request for 900 of the 1300 over with a timescale between 5 and 7 working days. But it says it has to be checked by staff during that! It also suggests that if I want more of the credit I have to email staff to request it.
    ....(a big circular run around again!!)

I have requested the amount offered for now as short of time and just need to sort out this month and dont want anymore email non replies happening. I'll report if and when it comes back.

I have had smart meters over the last year and I assumed they were getting readings as they show up in the app, and they have done that points thing at saving times......so I also assumed it.must be working for them to measure and award points.

I've been surprised at how much credit built up especially in winter......and why they haven't responded with adjustment more easily and even answered email.

I think the variable DD will be the way forward as I do keep track of things and it will likely be the most reliable method of it being right, smart meters seemingly irrelevant!!
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 February at 3:31PM
    Strebor said:

I've been surprised at how much credit built up especially in winter......and why they haven't responded with adjustment more easily and even answered email.

Been a mild winter so far this year fr many. Unsually so. Spring is still a few weeks away. Might yet get a few chilly days and nights. 

With the switching of providers historic data gets lost. Systems do seem to be geared to consumption patterns. I just tweak my direct debit as and when I'm allowed to. 
  • Strebor
    Hoenir said:
    Strebor said:

Been a mild winter so far this year fr many. Unsually so. Spring is still a few weeks away. Might yet get a few chilly days and nights. 

With the switching of providers historic data gets lost. Systems do seem to be geared to consumption patterns. I just tweak my direct debit as and when I'm allowed to. 
    Thanks, as it happens I didn't switch to octopus, just elected to change to smart meters whilst with them, so they do have a number of years data. However there was COVID (which changed number of people living here) plus on effects of some WFH, which changed some electric use for equipment.

In general I find they are much better (at least got my meter read and bills correct), but having realised their credit / debit is not really accurate even with the smart meters (reported creep up to around 600 max in the app and then it turns out it's actually 1300 but they'll give me 900 back retaining 400)......that is a little bit obscuring the actuality bringing me to weight up the even monthly vs variable.

The day before yesterday they said they would pay the 900 back within 5 to 7 working days. This may be in time before end of the month as stressed to them, and hopefully it will.

Thanks for everyone's input.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I found Octopus very good with giving refunds.
    In the past it was next day.

I keep £200 in credit each month, I reset their DD to a £5 charge. Keeping lowest tariff.
    Then I gave a reading, bill is deducted and I then pay in the difference.
    So I stay £200 in credit.
    I’ve been doing this for over 2 years now without any complaints from Octopus.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback