Octopus refused my refund request

Comments

• Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you take an item back to a shop for a refund or return goods you bought online, you are generally told it will take up to 10 days for the money to appear in your bank account.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Seems strange unless you're usage is high 

I'm £395 in credit and expect to stay near that till end of April but who knows, better safe than sorry 

At that point I will request a refund of at least £250 and have no doubt I will get it, after 10 days of course
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MikeJXE said:
    Seems strange unless you're usage is high 

I'm £395 in credit and expect to stay near that till end of April but who knows, better safe than sorry 

At that point I will request a refund of at least £250 and have no doubt I will get it, after 10 days of course
    End of April/Beginning of May is a sensible time to be asking back any credit.   At that point, the cold spell is over and you are starting the period of building up again for the next year.    its a safe point to draw out.   Unlike Jan/Feb when the coldest months are still to come.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • pete-20-11
    pete-20-11 Posts: 637 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Can you try setting the direct debit to a lower figure, via the octopus app/website, to reduce the credit a bit each month? 
    PPI success. Banding success. Double Dip PCN cancelled! South facing solar (Midlands) and battery. Savings Session supporter.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Just to note the OP hasn't returned to this thread since posting.
    It was bumped by someone with an unrelated query about the ten working day delay.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • BobT36
    BobT36 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Gerry1 said:
    You can always call them and switch to Variable Direct Debit.
    However, expect big bills in winter and lower in summer.
    This. People think you "lose out" but !!!!!!? Just predict and budget better. It's the SAME money being used either way in that year, and it's better the cash being sat in your account earning YOU interest, rather than the corpos. For anything that you don't owe following a bill, that's YOUR money. 

I can totally understand where the person is vulnerable in some way and mentally just can't deal with managing the money / bills themselves, though. 
  • MikeJXE
    Can you try setting the direct debit to a lower figure, via the octopus app/website, to reduce the credit a bit each month? 
    Yes if you have enough credit 
  • angeljs
    angeljs Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    I'm so sorry for not getting back, I received no notification of any replies. They said they needed to update my account as there was something wrong with the readings, even though I have a smart meter. 

Last week, after I badgered them again, they said I had over £900 credit and could have a refund of over £700.

Now it's changed again with only £600, and still no sign of a refund.

At one point my account showed over £1200 credit, I'm very confused.

My normal direct debit is £199 per month. 
  • MikeJXE
    Out of curiosity I have just logged in to my account at Octopus 

Clicked the refund button and it told me I had to leave £113 in the account

I could be refunded the rest so I could take £280 paid within 15 days  if I wanted but any more than that I would need to email them 

I left it as it is for another couple of months 

You could try that 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    angeljs said:
    I'm so sorry for not getting back, I received no notification of any replies. ...
    My normal direct debit is £199 per month. 
    If you're still unable to get a refund, can you go into your account and reduce your DD to eg. £50?
    This should reduce your credit balance by £150 a month.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback