Anyway to identify which bank will give higher credit limit?

Options
throughtheblue
throughtheblue Posts: 262 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
I went to pay off my car PCP with a joint loan, however I'm not getting the advertised loan rates, despite strong credit rating.

However, I've got pre-approved money transfer credit cards, with a 3/4% transfer fee ad 12 months free interest. My plan is for me and my partner to use one of these each, then pay the rest with our cash.

My main trouble is deciding who will likely provide a higher credit limit. I know it comes down to credit scores and other factors, but in the past some lenders would limit me 2/3k and others 8k.

It's between MBNA, Virgin and Tesco at the moment.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 January at 12:02PM
    Options
    Not really, you won't know till you apply and also remember you normally can't money transfer 100% of available balance.

What is your plan to clear the cards once the 12 months is up?
  • throughtheblue
    Options
    BoGoF said:
    Not really, you won't know till you apply and also remember you normally can't money transfer 100% of available balance.

What is your plan to clear the cards once the 12 months is up?

Yeah, it would be to clear or balance transfer the remaining credit.
    I'm working overtime so I can pay it off quicker, hopefully.
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Options

My main trouble is deciding who will likely provide a higher credit limit. I know it comes down to credit scores and other factors, but in the past some lenders would limit me 2/3k and others 8k.

Nothing ever comes down to credit scores.

If you're struggling to get headline loan rates, you may struggle to get he best offer on a card. Choose  one to apply for and go from there. If accepted but with a insufficent limit, you could try for a second card.
  • throughtheblue
    Options

If you're struggling to get headline loan rates, you may struggle to get he best offer on a card. Choose  one to apply for and go from there. If accepted but with a insufficent limit, you could try for a second card.

Thanks.
    I can afford to pay for the car cash, but it means using a large chunk of a deposit I had for a house saved.
    I'd rather pay half, then pay the other half over the space of a year.
  • BoGoF
    Options

Thanks.
    I can afford to pay for the car cash, but it means using a large chunk of a deposit I had for a house saved.
    Hopefully you aren't intending buying anytime soon as having a big chunk of credit card isn't a good look when applying for a mortgage
  • throughtheblue
    Options
    BoGoF said:

Thanks.
    Hopefully you aren't intending buying anytime soon as having a big chunk of credit card isn't a good look when applying for a mortgage

What's considered a big chunk?

If I was ever interested in a property and went ahead, my plan was always to pay off the debts in cash before a mortgage application. Would this be ok in principle?
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    BoGoF said:

Thanks.

If I was ever interested in a property and went ahead, my plan was always to pay off the debts in cash before a mortgage application. Would this be ok in principle?
    So why not just buy the car for cash now, or indeed after you've bought the property? 3-4% in fees still adds to the cost of the car / amount you need to repay.
  • BoGoF
    Options

No easy answer to that, depends on many factors. But I'm confused, if the intention was to pay it off in cash before any application then surely that's going to reduce the deposit that you don't want to touch just now because it's for a mortgage.

How much do you need to pay off the PCP?
  • throughtheblue
    Options
    BoGoF said:

No easy answer to that, depends on many factors. But I'm confused, if the intention was to pay it off in cash before any application then surely that's going to reduce the deposit that you don't want to touch just now because it's for a mortgage.

BoGoF said:

12k to pay off the PCP, however, my partner's savings are tied up in an HTB ISA, so I said to leave that alone and I'd cover the payment.

We'd still have money for a deposit, but during the planning stage of buying the car, we'd intended on making monthly payments and keeping cash back. If my partner got a pre-approved money transfer, it would allow her to repay me a chunk sooner rather than later.

• throughtheblue
    Options
    Emmia said:
    BoGoF said:

Thanks.

So why not just buy the car for cash now, or indeed after you've bought the property? 3-4% in fees still adds to the cost of the car / amount you need to repay.

Partly because I'd be having to pay my partners half upfront as well.

A house purchase is our intentions, but probably not imminent, as what we want in the area we want doesn't come up very often, and we also have quite an affordable/secure setup where we are.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback