PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Guarantor Debt

Options
1234568»

Comments

• _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I would say that clause 3 is an unfair term. Even with a correctly executed guarantee the guarantee doesn’t extend to material changes in the contract and rent increases are a material change. 

Clause 5 is most likely pointless. Any council tax owed is between the tenant and the council, this contract can’t make SS liable for it as it’s not something the LL would ever be liable for either. Similarly, any accounts the tenant has with utility suppliers are between the tenant and the utility company and has nothing to do with the landlord and therefore by extension has nothing to do with SS.

SS would have seen the clause about legal advice if he gad bothered to read the contract himself rather than delegating to his wife who also clearly didn’t bother to read the contract. 

As for the landlord’s letter before action, that is a contradictory load of bollox in my opinion. SS cannot evict the tenant. There is no legal mechanism that allows a guarantor to evict a tenant. If the landlord wants the tenant gone then he has to start the process himself be issuing either a valid section 21 or valid section 8. 

What does that landlord want to do, sell or move back in? The LBA seems to indicate both. 

The landlord’s cost of operating the business are not SS’s concern. If the business is not profitable he needs to sell or increase the rent, neither has anything to do with SS.

In SS’s shoes I’d do one of the following, ignore the LBA completely or respond to the LBA stating that there is no legal mechanism for a guarantor to evict a tenant and that the landlord must use the legal processes available to him to evict the tenant ignoring the rest of the nonsense in the letter. I certainly would not hand a penny over to the landlord at this time. SS could even suggest mediation to the LL as courts like when you try to resolve issues before getting to court. 

Should the LL go as far as filing a MCOL I think it would be easy for SS to defend against most, if not all, of the LL’s claims. 
  • Flopfluppet
    Flopfluppet Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you very much PD just one thing, what is MCOL?
    I do have to wonder, after all the money spent with the solicitor,  their letter wasn't as positive as your comment? Everything they wrote was 'solicitor terms' and SS just told me solicitor effectively said it was hopeless,  I had to plough through it to find the glimmers of light! But they didn't even give any suggestions as to what is unfair, as you did, just said it needed more thought. I take that to kean more money.
    Appreciate your help, I really do.
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    have followed this thread and have a thought which may or may not be correct

if it fails as a deed then it's may become a simple contract as stated

does the landlord have a due to minimise losses under that contract ie have a duty to the evict a non-paying tenant and not to let losses pile up
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MCOL is "money claim on-line", small claims.

Going to court for debt.
  • Flopfluppet
    Flopfluppet Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you all, just about to draft a letter to the LL. I will update again once this has eventually gone to court, unless something happens in between,  so at least you will know how the saga ended.
    I really hope that anyone considering being a guarantor will read this and other threads on here and decide not to!
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all, just about to draft a letter to the LL. I will update again once this has eventually gone to court, unless something happens in between,  so at least you will know how the saga ended.
    I really hope that anyone considering being a guarantor will read this and other threads on here and decide not to!
    I was almost a guarantor two years ago, but I was scared off by a clause similar to your clause 3, after I had been verbally assured that would not be the case. 

In my situation, the landlord decided to go ahead without a guarantor, and so far there has been no problem. 
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

This will certainly have been a salutary lesson for SS and a warning for anyone else considering doing such a thing. His kindness has backfired on him on this occasion but I hope that he gets an acceptable resolution - he deserves to.
  • doodling
    doodling Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi,

The advice to landlords would be to notify the guarantor as soon as loss is being incurred (as maybe the guarantor might put the tenant back on the straight and narrow) but it is only really worth suing once the size of the loss is known (which is usually after the tenant has been evicted).

Of course that doesn't mean that the landlord is being rational - they could simply be behaving in a random manner.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure