Been paying for BT Sport at old address without realising

Options
System
System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
This discussion was created from comments split from: BT COMPLAINTS HELP.

Comments

• Gpowell
    Gpowell Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I have a complaint with BT. Basically we have been paying for BT sports at our old address for the last 6 years. The DD appears on the statement as BT and we thought it was our landline rental. We had e mails each month but seldom opened them as again thought they were the line rental. We estimate we have paid over £2k for a service we haven’t had. I don’t believe a root cause analysis has been completed or a check of records from 2018 to state we called and cancelled. They have closed the complaint and referred us to FOS. Has anyone taken this type of complaint to FOS? What was the outcome? tIA 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Gpowell said:
    Hi I have a complaint with BT. Basically we have been paying for BT sports at our old address for the last 6 years. The DD appears on the statement as BT and we thought it was our landline rental. We had e mails each month but seldom opened them as again thought they were the line rental. We estimate we have paid over £2k for a service we haven’t had. I don’t believe a root cause analysis has been completed or a check of records from 2018 to state we called and cancelled. They have closed the complaint and referred us to FOS. Has anyone taken this type of complaint to FOS? What was the outcome? tIA 
    Why do you think the service is being provided at an old address? Are the bills showing this address?

Every month BT send me an email saying my statement is ready and here's a link to go look at it.

The statement gives a breakdown of each cost element that goes to make up the monthly total, right down to individual phone calls and certainly the details of my BT (now EE) TV and BT (now TNT) Sport subscriptions.

You've been paying over £30 a month for six years for a service that BT told you about monthly and you didn't notice?

Good luck with that complaint.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January at 4:36PM
    Options
    Resurrection of a 3 year old post that’s not even the same issue is a bit weird.

It is TNT Sports now (  just me being pedantic ) but on what basis did you have it , BTTV , via Sky or via an App ?, are you still a BT Broadband customer ?
    TBH , BTTV is not really associated with an address unless you had it via Sky satellite ,it’s associated with your BT account, that endures through house moves etc , so if you move , you can take it to your new location, the UHD version may not be available if the speed isn’t fast enough , but that’s a minor issue .

If your argument is that you took the opportunity to remove ‘sports’ from your BT broadband when you moved , you should have really checked it was no longer being billed for after you moved   , if after 6 years you expect the original call where you requested it to be removed to still be available, so it can be confirmed you asked for sports to be removed from your account, are probably going to be disappointed.

You would really be better starting a new thread , but I would think this is one of those where it’s your responsibility not BT , especially if there is no ‘proof’ that you asked for Sport to be removed in the first place , and TBH , as stated , if you knew what you paid when you wanted BTSport  , asked for it to be removed expecting a £30 a month reduction in your bill as a consequence of it being removed , then the expected saving never materialised, it’s your responsibility to check why that reduction was never made, if it’s the case that if you had plugged your BTTV box in and that service was available, but you never actually plugged the BTTV box in ( assuming it was via BTTV ) then that may simply be your misfortune , any argument that BT could see there was no ‘box’ connected 
    Is irrelevant, they don’t need to monitor you are connected to bill you , 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    Options
    I've asked the Forum team to split the latest query out into a separate thread.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 966 Community Admin
    Options
    Split into new thread as per @QrizB suggestion
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback