No TV license but maybe can see TV from street?

Options
I have just moved into a flat - and I do not watch BBC or live TV. I don’t need a TV license as a result and I have submitted the no license needed form.

Regardless of whether I should have done that or not, I am on the second floor and I have big double balcony doors. My TV is in the corner of the room and I am sure that anyone can see it from the road if they are looking.

Again I am only using it for Netflix etc, no live TV but my concern is that if a TV License official sees my TV that will be enough to course me a lot of trouble. Even though I would not be watching live TV.

I can easily turn away anyone who rings the bell on the building but I am concerned that those big windows/balcony will cause me trouble and therefore maybe I should just pay it…

Comments

• Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Been license free for years and never had a knock on the door, if you don't need a license then thats it.
    The people that are prosecuted generally admit to doing wrong and invite officials into their homes.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you aren't watching (or recording) "live" TV or iPlayer then you don't need a licence.
    If they can see it from the street then they'll be able to see it's not live and so can save the trouble of walking up the stairs.
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you don't need a licence then why on earth pay for one?

Stop worrying. 
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,896 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The posts on here get more bizarre every day lol. 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 January at 9:33AM
    Options
    I'm struggling slightly to understand the layout such that a TV in a second-floor property might be clearly visible from the ground, but let's assume that the issue is real, and can't be addressed with curtains, blinds or a rearrangement of furniture.

Then there's the question of whether a caller on the ground would be able to accurately identify the postal address relating to a particular window - for most apartment blocks this is somewhat unlikely.

Most shared buildings have good enough security to prevent TVL from touring the building at will, and if they are applying their own rules, they have to request entry to a particular property, and go only there.   Then they can be ignored or sent away by the flat resident(s), or they can be sent away remotely over the intercom.

People have "expectations" of TVL that are often incorrect.   Even if a TVL person sees a TV operating, that is not evidence of the offence, and in any case it is not something that they can directly act upon.   What they are seeking is a signed confession, and whilst their process in obtaining it has elements of Post Office to it, no one should be allowing themselves to be taken through that process.  It's as simple as not speaking to them (there is no need) and not signing anything.   Any words they use to imply that doing either of those things is "necessary" are lies - it is as simple as that.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FreeBear said:

The one I have had misfortune to deal with asked vague questions (such as "what was the last thing you watched on TV") - Refused to answer any question,
    I personally wouldn't refuse.. 

"Might have been a football match or an afternoon quiz programme. Either down the pub or at my mum's nursing home. Why do you ask? Is it relevant?"

:-)

True, as well and I've never had a colour telly!

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 January at 9:10PM
    Options
    FreeBear said:

The one I have had misfortune to deal with asked vague questions (such as "what was the last thing you watched on TV") - Refused to answer any question,

"Might have been a football match or an afternoon quiz programme. Either down the pub or at my mum's nursing home. Why do you ask? Is it relevant?"

:-)

True, as well and I've never had a colour telly!

My experience with TV Licensing, and looking at some of the detail of the Post Office scandal suggests that it's probably best not to try being clever with them, no matter how tempting it might be.    They generally don't seem to have much of a sense of humour, and are looking for any small admission to take advantage of.

One of the things is that we humans tend to respond to "official" questioning, and it usually works to our disadvantage.   But it really is the right thing to refuse to be interviewed by TVL - it's the simplest, most effective way, and if the Salesperson doesn't understand its importance then they need to check with their management, not with the Public.

Possible things to say:-

- No thank you, not today.
    - I decline to be interviewed, using my PACE/Scottish law rights.
    - I will only agree to be interviewed in the presence of my Solicitor.
    - I will only agree to be interviewed in the presence of my Solicitor, but I am not prepared to pay their fee for your convenience.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,644 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    FreeBear said:

His last question was "Can I come in ?"
    "No. Health & Safety. I'm not prepared to take responsibility if you get hurt"...

I was in the middle of doing some messy building work, and just happened to have crowbar in my hand when I answered the door. :*
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm on a ground floor flat and have my TV on the wall and it can clearly be seen through the windows. Needing a licence is purely on what the TV is used for, if it's used to watch live TV or iPlayer then a licence is required but if it's used for watching Netflix, ITVX, all4, my5 or other on demand content then no licence is required. 
    My last goon visit was in March 2017 and it didn't go well for the goon, I've only had two visits that I know of Feb 2009 and the March 2017 the first one tried to stitch me up so I took a 24" monitor to the court and told them to find an aerial connection or tuner card in it as well as saying that anyone who was stitched up by a goon should plead not guilty when asked, they tried to silence me but couldn't and lots of people walked out of the court that day with no case to answer. 
    I've always said that if they try and stitch the person up then plead not guilty and ask that the goon be present a any hearing. Best of all if a goon turn up record it and they will most likely just walk away once the recording starts.
    Someone please tell me what money is
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure