🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Managing Mat Leave

Options

Comments

• FacelessNumber
    FacelessNumber Posts: 492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £55 banked yesterday and added to the holiday savings, so that's now at £77. Managed a big sort out of baby clothes so have a box that needs listing on vinted. Will hopefully get to that next week.

Grocery spending has been well over this week, I think we're at close to £100 but hoping it evens out over the month as there's plenty in the freezer. Spent another £15 yesterday on a few bits that I'd forgotten from the main shop. 5 of that was just bits for me which I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't needed the forgotten items so I do need to try and make sure I don't miss things off the main shop!

Also got a couple of cook books out from the library, never thought to do this before! Used the slow cooker to make dinner yesterday too.

Quiet day planned today, if I can get through some photos for the album iym making I'll be happy.

To do:
    *Photo sorting
    *Walk
    *Gym
  • Lonelygambler
    Lonelygambler Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I struggle to shop for all 4 of us, including fresh dinners packed lunches, baby bits, nappies cleaning stuff for under £130! Our fruit bill is astronomical. 

Keep up the great work 
    Gambling Addict - Acting now before it's too late. Gambling losses well over 25k. 

Current Situation:
    Unsecured Personal Debt - May 2024
    Natwest CC 0% - £3000 - £1629
    MBMA CC 0% £4500 - £4150
    Tesco Loan - £10,400 - £9970

Debt cleared off since starting on here: £2151

Money saved by not gambling £3000

13 Weeks Gamble Free! 

Aim to be debt free by 2026... 
  • FacelessNumber
    Options
    Lovely family weekend. Friday evening in the pub garden - 37.20 spent on drinks and tea. Only other spending of the weekend was a too good to go bag, we tried a new one and it wasn't as good as some of the others, mostly just crisps and chocolate. I prefer to do ones that we can make meals out of to save on the shopping.

Food shop ordered for tomorrow, just under £70 but did include some toiletry stocking up and snack stocking up for my son. Meal plan done, trying to eat a lot of stuff out of the freezer. I dread to think how expensive shopping will be when the baby starts eating as well!

Not much to report really. Need to try and get a photo album made this week that will take a while, so not aiming for much more than that and the usual daily things. Have got in the gym twice this weekend which has been nice. Hope everyone has enjoyed the nice weather!
  • FacelessNumber
    Options
    Family day out today, managed to get free entry to national Trust and have packed lunch so shouldn't spend too much, will probably buy cold drinks at some point.

But more photo sorting to try and do later, and if I can get in the gym later that would be ideal. Instead a daily list I've got a list for the week this week as I'm not sure when I'll fit things in.

*Call pharmacy
    *Sort out boots card - I'm in danger of losing 20 quids worth of points if I don't get a new one sorted!
    *Photo album
    *Look at mortgage rates 
    *Gym x 3
    *Walk everyday
  • Lonelygambler
    Lonelygambler Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Every time I read photo album I feel sick about the amount of photos I have on my phone! 

😂
    Gambling Addict - Acting now before it's too late. Gambling losses well over 25k. 

Current Situation:
    Unsecured Personal Debt - May 2024
    Natwest CC 0% - £3000 - £1629
    MBMA CC 0% £4500 - £4150
    Tesco Loan - £10,400 - £9970

Debt cleared off since starting on here: £2151

Money saved by not gambling £3000

13 Weeks Gamble Free! 

Aim to be debt free by 2026... 
  • FacelessNumber
    Options
    Ha I know! Mine are mostly sorted and uploaded to my one drive, but the one I'm making is a gift for someone so I've been going through old albums and scanning actual photos in.

Lovely day out yesterday, ended up buying ice creams and drinks, and then having fish and chips for tea but worth every penny. We don't often spend time going out just the 4 of us.

Probably quite a lot of spending this week as I have stuff on most days. Will use my free coffee today when I go out.
  • FacelessNumber
    Options
    Probably overdue a money catch up so will try and get that done today or tomorrow. Spent 7.45 yesterday on some drinks for me, my mum and my son. Meeting people today and tomorrow too so will definitely overspend this week, but will hopefully make up for it next week! I've been budgeting £75 a month for coffees/lunches etc.

Otherwise just ticking along, still need to take pics and upload some mat clothes onto vinted. The weeks just disappear it seems!
  • Aimingforthegoodlife
    Options
    Continuing to do great work! So impressive especially with a newborn! We are a family of two adults, three dogs and one guinea pig, our food bill is usually £70 a week, so you are doing great!
  • FacelessNumber
    Options
    Thanks for dropping in @Aimingforthegoodlife!

Not too much spending over the weekend and lots of lovely family time. £20 on a takeaway on Saturday because we ran out of time, tried to get too much in and got home late. 

£6ish on some groceries on Friday, no spending yesterday. At home today trying to catch up on a few bits.

To do:
    *Bit of work on photo album
    *Money catch up
    *Put washing away (3 loads)
    *Wash and change bedding
    *Pick up parcel
    *Meal plan and order click and collect
    *Walk

My step count has been far too low recently so I need a target for this. 10k steps is difficult with looking after the baby sometimes, mostly because my watch doesn't pick it up if I have the pram! But if I manage to walk the dog every day I should be able to hit 8k a day so aiming for 56k over the week might be doable!

I did manage 4 days in the gym though so must take the positives as well!
  • FacelessNumber
    edited 21 May at 7:51AM
    Options
    Well I managed a run rather than a walk yesterday, and a lot of washing done! Bedding and meal plan etc done too. Didn't get round to the computer stuff (money catch up and photo album) so trying to do that today. Did 7.5k steps yesterday so fairly happy with that, might struggle today as the weather is rubbish and I don't like to take the baby out in bad weather - I mostly use a carrier as she prefers it to the pram but can't use that if it's raining as I don't have a rain cover for it. Also got a phone call done that I've been putting off, one more of those to do! Put a piece of furniture on marketplace too so hopefully that sells for £20-30.

Goals for today:
    *Aim for 8k steps somehow
    *Put more washing away and another load on
    *Money catch up
    *Photos

£16ish spent on lunch stuff and cake as we had family over for lunch yesterday. Will be similar today as have a friend over, but will be cheaper than having lunch out which was the other option!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure