How long to clear US Customs at Dublin using Aer Lingus?

Options
Hi

Planning to fly to LAX from Manchester via Dublin using Aer Lingus.  Has anybody used this route recently and give me an idea of how long it should take to clear US Customs in Dublin?  I am looking at flights with a 2h 10m layover.  Is that realistic?  Never used this route before.  My sister (who lives in the USA) uses it regularly, but as a US citizen I would imagine it would be pretty speedy for her.

The next longest layover is 4h 25m.  The main attraction of using Aer Lingis is to avod the living hell that is US Customs at LAX, but 4h 25m is pushing it.

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Providing your connection is on time, 2h10m will be fine.   Presumably however this is one thru ticket and you are not buying separate tickets (e.g Ryan Air MAN DUB then Aer Lingus DUB LAX)?

4h25m - you will be wandering amlessly around the DUB departure hall.  

There is limited seating/facilities in the departure pier post US Customs & Border Control. 
  • TonyM19
    TonyM19 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the response

It would be a thru ticket ie all Aer Lingus.  What would happen if I didn't make the second flight eg the first flight is late?  Is it then down to Aer LIngus to get me on the next available flight?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TonyM19 said:
    It would be a thru ticket ie all Aer Lingus.  What would happen if I didn't make the second flight eg the first flight is late?  Is it then down to Aer LIngus to get me on the next available flight?
    Yes, if it's all on one ticket then Aer Lingus are responsible for rearranging your second flight if the first is late - the fact that they market this service to UK customers is likely to mean that they'll be experienced in dealing with such circumstances, firstly to try to prevent issues (e.g. rushing you through) and then, if necessary, rebooking as quickly as possible.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 January at 11:31PM
    Options
    Did a NY trip via Dublin in summer 22.  In the queue for the flight to Dublin a fellow passenger said it takes 45 minutes to an hour to clear US customs, which considering in the US it has taken 3 hours was a revelation.

We arrived in Dublin on time and by the time we taxied, deplaned, took the bus to the terminal it was 10.30am.  It is a very well oiled machine once in the terminal.

Staff were directing passengers to transit and US customs area.  There was a huge queue as there are many US flights all leaving within a couple of hours of each other and we doubted the claim of an hour.  I remember looking at the clock and it was 10.30am.  Everyone is in the same queue, being a US citizen makes no difference!

Queued to top of an escalator, boarding pass checked then you are sent downstairs to an area which is under US jurisdiction.  Joined another huge snaking queue, but whilst in it they were calling for any passengers on the flights which were first to leave.  Lots of US border and customs officers (who unlike the US were actually friendly), paperwork checked, prints and photo taken then through to a security check.

Once through that we were in departures.  I have a photo of us enjoying a pre flight pint of Guinness and it was taken at 11.50am so I reckon it was about an hour as I had to queue at the bar!  We boarded at about 1pm, so 2.5 hours is ample.

Once we arrived in the US we were in the internal flights terminal at Newark so no passport checks at all, it was like leaving a railway or bus station.  Short walk to baggage pick up.  Landing to being in the cab to downtown NYC about 30 minutes.

I'd have no issue using Dublin again for a US trip.

• TonyM19
    TonyM19 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the responses.  Can I just check what happens with suitcases?  Once I check them in at Manchester do I not see them again until LAX?

I once missed a connection in Chicago (the first flight was delayed) and had to spend a night in a (dodgy) hotel.  I've always been a bit cautious with layovers since then.

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    On a through ticket luggage is not seen until destination.  It will be transferred in Dublin to the LAX flight.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback