Boiler insurance

Options
AVOID AVOID AVOID.
Had appointment for Thursday 4th Jan 2024 between 8-6.
Stayed off work didn't turn up.
Rang Friday morning put through to some lady who said engineer on his way now he's 2 minutes away.
Raced home didn't show up checked cctv no one been.
Rang again Saturday fuming got an appointment for Sunday again between 8-6pm.
Came around 11.15am all on cctv said thinks it needs a new valve and will contact plusheat for authorisation and went to his van.
Thought he would be back but left.
Monday morning I get an email saying job successfully done.
Back onto the phone and fuming.they then change tune and say engineer said we would have to wait for the whistling boiler to break down before the problem could be fixed.
I said put me through to cancellations they now want to charge me to cancel my poilcy which auto renewed without me having any communication from them (now 2 months in on 2nd spell.)
I lost £120 in wages for 2 no shows from engineers
I'm contacting trading standards tomorrow and they won't be getting another penny off me.
I've been.lied to and now trying to bully me into paying cancellation fee.
Oh engineer put on his report arrived 9.48am left 16.47pm .he arrived around 11.15pm stayed 20 minutes to half an hour.
This is the worst company I've ever dealt with
Sorry for the length but how do I stand on cancelling this policy they say I will be charged automatically renewal October 26th but I didn't get any emails they said they had sent

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 January at 2:28PM
    Options
    You don't say who the company is but your rights will be governed by the Ts & Cs of your agreement with them (unless these breach any legislation), so you should check there what the situation is regarding cancellation during, or at the end of, the term.

Edit: just noticed a passing reference to "contact plusheat for authorisation" within all that, are you complaining about PlusHeat?
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AVOID AVOID AVOID.
    Rang Friday morning put through to some lady who said engineer on his way now he's 2 minutes away.
    Came around 11.15am all on cctv said thinks it needs a new valve and will contact plusheat for authorisation and went to his van.
    Back onto the phone and fuming.they then change tune and say engineer said we would have to wait for the whistling boiler to break down before the problem could be fixed.
    I said put me through to cancellations they now want to charge me to cancel my poilcy which auto renewed without me having any communication from them (now 2 months in on 2nd spell.)
    I'm contacting trading standards tomorrow and they won't be getting another penny off me.
    Oh engineer put on his report arrived 9.48am left 16.47pm .he arrived around 11.15pm stayed 20 minutes to half an hour.
    Sorry for the length but how do I stand on cancelling this policy they say I will be charged automatically renewal October 26th but I didn't get any emails they said they had sent
    Welcome to the forum.

I gather you are avoiding something but you don't say who or what!

You also mention a policy you wish to cancel.
    If you share some more facts with us such as who you are talking about, what the policy is for and what any terms and conditions are we should be able to help you.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    Options
    AVOID AVOID AVOID. Who?
    I said put me through to cancellations they now want to charge me to cancel my poilcy which auto renewed without me having any communication from them (now 2 months in on 2nd spell.) If that's in accordance with the terms, nothing wrong there.  If it hadn't auto-renewed two months ago you wouldn't have been able to call them out for this fault, so it's worked in your favour that you forgot the auto-renewal.

I lost £120 in wages for 2 no shows from engineers if you have evidence of that it might prove helpful at a later date.

I'm contacting trading standards tomorrow and they won't be getting another penny off me. Be careful about cancelling direct debits or standing orders.  It doesn't cancel the contract and might incur charges.  Stop fuming and deal with this calmly and logically.

I've been.lied to and now trying to bully me into paying cancellation fee.  Again, all emotive stuff that won't help.
    This is the worst company I've ever dealt with You've done well, then.
    Sorry for the length but how do I stand on cancelling this policy they say I will be charged automatically renewal October 26th but I didn't get any emails they said they had sent  What do the terms say about cancelling?  We don't even know which company is, so we haven't a clue how to cancel or where you stand.
    Answers and comments above, in bold.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Alderbank said:
    AVOID AVOID AVOID.
    Welcome to the forum.

I gather you are avoiding something but you don't say who or what!

You also mention a policy you wish to cancel.
    If you share some more facts with us such as who you are talking about, what the policy is for and what any terms and conditions are we should be able to help you.
    I assume it's Pluseheat as he mentions then in the rather long message. Easy to miss I guess.

https://www.plusheat.co.uk/
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed, but Plusheat offer lots of different packages at different price points and with different expectations.

Moneysupermarket's review of them is moderately positive. They say 
    PlusHeat boiler cover is available in monthly or annual plans, with loads of options
    PlusHeat’s boiler cover is wide ranging and is competitive with the best boiler cover from rival providers. It enjoys a 4.2 rating on TrustPilot.

I hope the OP returns to tell us more.
  • leytherlad63
    Options
    Hi yes it was plusheat 12 month boiler cover cover.
    Apparently I had a email on 26th Oct saying I was up for renewal and to stop renewal by 28th Oct but checked files I have had no email.
    On their main site they have 3.4 out of 5.
    I didn't check when my renewal was up so that's my fault.
    They rang me yesterday day saying sorry and they would look at cancelling my policy. then at the end asked if I would take my review off trust pilot answered would change it if my policy was cancelled.offered me compensation but I said no just cancel my policy I don't want them anywhere near my property again
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,469 Forumite
    Options
    Op might want to ask team here to move thread to praise & vent..
    As well as editing post..

Active boycotting

We appreciate emotions can run high should you experience poor service from companies, but we cannot accept active calls to boycott organisations as we are unable to verify the service you received.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs/

Life in the slow lane
  • leytherlad63
    Options
    Hello sorry tried to take THE AVOID off but can't seem to figure it out i do apologise for the rants but they have still not rung me back (4th time they said they would yesterday).so my emotions are running high and don't know who to turn too.
    Again I apologise
  • AndrLam
    AndrLam Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    If I may chip in here, as I have a similar problem with PlusHeat,  related mainly to cancelling my subscription. I could use your advice, please. I'm also coming after reporting them with Trading Standards and I have a WIP case with Trading Standards and advice on part of the problem.
    1) I have repeatedly called them to cancel my subscription and whilst on the phone they say yes, fine, we'll cancel it, in reality they don't and allow direct debits to go on.
    2) When one then puts the cancellation in writing, that's when they bring their T&Cs and the fact it is stipulated "If you cancel after 14 days If you wish to cancel your Service Agreement outside 14-days of first subscribing to PlusHeat, or outside 14-days of your renewal date, you must pay a cancellation fee equal to the remainder of the subscription term to close the account." Their subscription term is 1 year. 
    3) Then they refuse your initial request to cancel - they say that it is not valid because they haven't reviewed it and validated it O_O

At this point I see a breach in the contractual terms when a company is abusive towards their customers forcing them to justify the reason of cancellation (when there is noting in the T&Cs on the reason for cancellation to be validated by PlusHeat) and refusing to cancel on the grounds that only after they validate the reason for cancellation, then it is supposedly cancelled...

From where I stand, a phone request to cancel the renewal of a contract is a biding part of the mutual contract. 
    Plusheat have conveniently chosen a 0808 number (free and non-geographic) which makes it impossible to trace with mobile and fix line providers as it is free and free calls are non-itemised in the bills. Hence when one calls PlusHeat to cancel the contract, they play along until one realises the payments haven't stopped. At that point, they ask one back for proof that they have cancelled the contract. Unless the request is in writing, repeated phone calls cancellations requests remain undressed and direct debit continues. It took me a couple of requests in 2022 and 2023 and in 2024 one request in Feb and two in March and only the latest request in March was acknowledged because it was in writing. 

I feel cheated and would welcome your advice...
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,469 Forumite
    Options
    Send email to them (its on their front page of website) after phone call confirming cancelation if within 14 days. Jobs done as you have proof of cancelation.
    Cancel DD at your end.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport