Other Business/ Individuals using my SumUp Card Machine

Options
Hi All, 

Wondering how I handle this with my first ever tax return for the 23/24 period, does anyone have any advice, I haven't had much luck trying to find an answer online so far. 

For a weekend every year we have a big community art event this year we used my card machine to process all the card sales. The majority of these sales where not for me, they where for other artists in the group. Once the payment's came through I transfered the money straight away to the organiser who worked it all out and distributed it. 

Now that the platforms have to share the data I am wondering how I explain on my tax form that the money that came in wasn't mine, we just used my card machine. Each artist will be paying tax individually etc on those payments. 
(note I had sales at this event which I picked out and put in my big spreadsheet of sales)

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You don't need to complete a 23/24 tax return until January 2025.....
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't include it or the fees. It's not your income
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It would be wise to keep all of the records just in case.  We are all very unlikely to be chosen for a tax inspection, but if you were it would be important to be able to explain an apparently larger income stream than you have declared.  Your bank statements showing cash coming in and then immediately paid out should make clear what has happened.
    Personally I would let my friends know that I would not carry on with this in the future - possibly saying an accountant had advised against it.  Other people can set up card payments as you have and it will make your records much cleaner without being cluttered with friends' transactions.
  • GetEVN
    GetEVN Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    You don't need to complete a 23/24 tax return until January 2025.....
    Just being super organised because it's my first ever :) 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you using one of the devices that bluetooth to a mobile? 

With Zettle and their mobile solution its the account on the software on the phone that matters and if the organiser wants to share your device then thats fine but they setup their own account and pair your device with their mobile and then your numbers aren't muddied but other people's cashflows. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback