copy dvd to usb flash drive

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Aidanmc said:
    Aidanmc said:
    MakeMKV  does a good job on Windows, whenever I've used it

"MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere".

Thanks, before i seen your post i downloaded VLC. Tried to do the copy, seems to be going ok but when i playback the copy its only 20secs long and shows some copyright text.
    So i think VLC can't get by the copyright?

Nothing to do with "copyright", I think you mean copy protection.

When you copy in VLC it just does a copy by playing.  So if that's what you see when you play it, that's what VLC will commit, but its painfully slow to do it this way.

MakeMKV will do what you want.

Tried Make MKV, it did copy some parts of the DVD but not the main movie part.
    Why could this be?

Then you're doing something wrong.
    You can either copy it via the main screen (you want the biggest file which is typically the main movie), or you can use the Back-up feature (see menu) to copy the whole disc to an ISO format.

Handbrake as mentioned earlier is okay, but it cannot get round the encryption protection on the disk (without some third party help).  MakeMKV can.
  • Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 730 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    Finally got it done using MakeMKV
    Had to change USB flash drive file system to NTFS
  • Aidanmc
    Just another query........
    It replays ok on laptop using VLC media player, but when i try plugging directly into back of TV it plays glitchy, stop/starting and no sound......just wondering why this is and is it fixable?
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 9 January at 4:55PM
    Possibly your TV doesn't like NTFS

Be better with the more widely compatible exFAT
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

This, or the usb stick could be too slow. What's the spec?
  • Aidanmc
    Jon_01 said:

This, or the usb stick could be too slow. What's the spec?

I changed the file system of the USB to exFAT, now the TV doesnt recognise the USB at all.
    Its an oldish TV though,
    The USB stick is 16gb Toshiba,
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    So after reformatting the flash drive and putting the film back on it the TV doesn't see the drive?

If you search for the TV model online you should be able to get the specs and see what it works with.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Aidanmc said:
    It replays ok on laptop using VLC media player, but when i try plugging directly into back of TV it plays glitchy, stop/starting and no sound......just wondering why this is and is it fixable?
    Not used makemkv but I'm guessing that it converts into the mkv file format? If that's the case chances are the tv doesn't recognise it or the codec , you will probably need to convert the mkv into a file that the tv can play such as mpeg4 or avi

My telly has issues with mkv files and their codes it will play some but not others, forcing me to convert them 
  • Aidanmc
    So after reformatting the flash drive and putting the film back on it the TV doesn't see the drive?

If you search for the TV model online you should be able to get the specs and see what it works with.

Yes, i reformatted the USB drive changing the file system to exFAT and using quick format. Then put film back on it using MakeMKV.
    When i put in TV nothing happens, whereas before (NTFS) it came up automatically. The source/input button on TV doesnt show USB option in menu, but HDMI1 is there. I tried all sources.
    The TV is Alba LCD32ADVD, i can't find any info online relating to USB spec supported.
    Anyway it doesnt really matter as i wont be using it on my TV, I was actually copying it to give the film to someone else (who doesnt have dvd player)
    But i am curious why it wont work.
  • Aidanmc
    cerebus said:
    Aidanmc said:
    Not used makemkv but I'm guessing that it converts into the mkv file format? If that's the case chances are the tv doesn't recognise it or the codec , you will probably need to convert the mkv into a file that the tv can play such as mpeg4 or avi

My telly has issues with mkv files and their codes it will play some but not others, forcing me to convert them 

Yeah i think its converted to MKV file format.
    I think you ar right that it needs converted

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure