Pet Insurance - Penalised for being an existing customer

Options
I've currently got Pet Insurance with Tesco and I've been with them since 2016. 
My cat is now 9years and 9months old and my dog is 4years and 2months old. 

I had my renewal quote in and it was £292 more expensive this year. I called them and they applied a 15% discount for each pet. This took it to a difference of £168 more expensive than last year. 

I went online and got quotes to be new customer and the quote is coming in at over £200 cheaper (than the discounted renewal quote). 

I've raised a complaint with Tesco - obviously; but I can foresee their response and they won't reduce the price. Then I'd have to wait 8 weeks before I can take it to the Financial Ombudsman, meaning that I'll be out with the 14days to back out of the renewal. 

I also registered my clubcard with them to get a clubcard discount and points, but today I was told that they don't give you points on Pet Insurance unless you gave a promotional code at the time of registering the clubcard. I remember registering the clubcard and this was not the advice at the time. I've obviously raised a complaint on this one separately and can foresee their outcome too. Do I get them to go through 8years of recorded calls to find the advice I was given?! 

Why are existing long term customer penalised so much? 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Do your pets have any pre-existing conditions/ever been treated for anything? Have you made any claims?

Historically it's been common practice to attract customers by heavy discounting, often selling at a loss, and that is funded by charging renewing customers more. The longer a customer stays the less likely they are to leave/less price sensitive they become. This practice has recently been stopped for private Motor and Home but is still allowed for other classes of consumer insurance.

Obviously if you've had a claim, say for a fractured leg, then the renewal quote and new business quote would be fundamentally different... the renewal most likely would continue to cover issues with that limb whereas the new business policy would exclude any future issues (eg arthritis) as a pre-existing condition. This can sometimes explain the pricing difference but is also how lock in is created. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It happens with pet insurance

With a new policy ant pre existing conditions , and anything that can be related them, will be excluded

There is an initial exclusion period with a new policy so you need to hope your pet does not develop anything during that time.

If you have no pre exising conditions then you only need to be aware of the exclusion period.

Make sure you are comparing the same level of cover as before.

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your current renewal will include any existing conditions, the new policy will likely exclude pre-existing conditions. Or are you saying you disclosed those pre-existing conditions and they accepted them to be covered in the new quote? If the latter, then just don't renew and take the new policy instead.

If there are no pre-existing conditions to consider, then again cancel the renewal and take the new policy.

If there are pre-existing conditions and they are not included in the new policy, then you have to decide if you want to take the risk of them being excluded. That would be why you are paying the additional amount.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always recommend going with Petplan. Our monthly premiums went from approx £38 to £43 this year, with a claim of over £9,500 paid out, and the condition (lung cancer) continues to be covered.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January at 2:28AM
    Options
    Slinky said:
    I always recommend going with Petplan. Our monthly premiums went from approx £38 to £43 this year, with a claim of over £9,500 paid out, and the condition (lung cancer) continues to be covered.
    Second this. One of my cats was at full claim of £7k in 2022. His premium went up by around £2 a month the following year. I've now claimed around £5.5k in 2023 - it is a covered for life policy so it isn't cheap from the off but it has been totally worth it. His care over the last 2 years has amounted to around £22k. Insurance has accounted for around £12k - then I sold my car to cover the rest. He is part of the family,aged just 8 now. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback