Oil free electric radiator in one room vs whole property gas heating

Options
Hi, I wonder whats more financially efficient: to run electric oil free radiator with a thermostat in one room or heat the whole property with gas heating? Does anyone tried that?

Comments

• Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,182 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well it depends on the size of the property and how many other rooms there are beyond the one that is being heated.  I'm not keeping tack of prices, but I think that heating with gas costs roughly one third the cost of heating the same space to the same temperature with electricity. 
    Reed
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you mean heating the whole property with a single heat source...or only heating one room with the radiator?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,537 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Too many variables to even make a guess,  you need to read meters, try the different methods for a few days each and see which is cheaper.

• Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the rest of the house is more than about 3 or 4 times bigger than the room you are heating, then the electric rad is probably cheaper. And you'd need to keep the door shut!
    An electric oil filled radiator won't be able to heat the whole house though, they don't put out that much heat.they are a bit misleading because they may for example have a 2kW element, but they can't generally output 2kW, so the heat, switch off, heat etc A radiator putting out 2kW is actually surprisingly large.
    A 2kW fan heater or convection heater will however put out 2kW constantly (until the thermostat cuts out obviously), but will obviously use more electricity.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback