Council tax, excemption, and discounts, help needed

Options
In the future, it will be a adult, who is excempt on mental disability grounds, a adult live in carer, no income only carers allowance and possibly a adult state retired, anyone know how much or what discount can be applied for and what discount would be used off the total bill, thanks

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    That's 3 people in the household:

1. An adult with SMI exemption
    2. A ft carer for the above, not closely related to the above
    3. An adult on state pension.

Is that right?

The first 2 are disregarded meaning that adult 3 qualifies for a 25% single adult discount.

Adult 3 may qualify for council tax support depending on capital and any other income
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last few years son has got DLA because hes got Aspergers.
    We also get a council tax reduction and a water rates reduction.

I'd totally forgotten about it. Hes now a student living away in Halls of Residence the term time mostly.
    Never really understand how to determine what his "address" is or whether it still counts as he lives at home. After all, worked out that last year he was away less than 30 weeks of the year so hes still home a large amount of the time.

Would seem a bit unfair if we now get 0% discount because hes home so much. (We get a water discount because of how he is water usage sort of thing)/

Any idea what the rules are?

Thinking about it we never updated his details for the DLA claim.

I'm sure we're not the only ones who find that all these organisations its such a fight to get anything in the first place (DLA took 2 years and an appeal) that I really don't want to give them information and then find I have to fight them again.

Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 January at 7:26PM
    Options
    paulfoel said:
    (text removed by Mtf)

Suggest you start a new thread of your own otherwise this could get very confusing if people start answering things unrelated to the thread.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    paulfoel said:

I'd totally forgotten about it. Hes now a student living away in Halls of Residence the term time mostly.

Students are disregarded for council tax anyway.

• paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    paulfoel said:

Isn't that only if there are ONLY students in the house?
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,198 Forumite
    Options
    fatbelly said:

Is that right?

The first 2 are disregarded meaning that adult 3 qualifies for a 25% single adult discount.

Adult 3 may qualify for council tax support depending on capital and any other income
    Point 2 is not correct,
    It is true that looking after a Spouse, Partner or Child under 18 does not qualify you for a carers council tax discount. However if you look after a an adult child, or look after a mother, father, brother, sister, niece, nephew, uncle, aunt or friend then you can qualify, if it is for at least 35 hours a week on average..

In the OP example it would be a 25% discount, but if the other adult also cared for 35 hours a week, then all three people in the household could be disregarded, and the council tax discount would be 50%.

'We got a £7,500 council tax refund as carers thanks to MSE's tips' – here's how to check if you qualify for money off your bill (moneysavingexpert.com)

OP - Do not be surprised if you phone your local authority and the person you talk to knows nothing about it. It is not that well known even amongst council tax call centre staff. 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    Options
    paulfoel said:
    paulfoel said:

Of course, you can’t claim for someone who isn’t living there. I would have thought that was obvious anyway. 
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 January at 4:39PM
    Options
    fatbelly said:

Is that right?

Point 2 is not correct,
    It is true that looking after a Spouse, Partner or Child under 18 does not qualify you for a carers council tax discount. However if you look after a an adult child, or look after a mother, father, brother, sister, niece, nephew, uncle, aunt or friend then you can qualify, if it is for at least 35 hours a week on average..

I think the poster wasn't asserting council tax rules in their list but trying to determine who was actually living there and classify them... unfortunately the OP is fairly vague (and there's no clarification so far unfortunately risking garbage in garbage out).. so they ask the question if they've assumed right.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    paulfoel said:
    paulfoel said:

No. Students are disregarded and then whoever else is living there determines the council tax.
    DD (a student) shared with one student and one non-student last year. The students were disregarded so the non-student got the 25% single person  discount.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback