Can I stop paying into my HTB ISA when I reach £12k?

Hi folks, I'm about to reach £12k in my Help to Buy ISA and was just wondering can I stop paying into it when I reach that balance?... or will this affect it in any way?... or alternatively can I lower what I pay in to say £20pm instead of what I currently pay in which is is £200pm?

I'm a little fearful of changing anything incase it voids my £3k uplift for first time buying?

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 43,817
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/help-to-buy-isa/

• The most you'll get the bonus on is £12,000 (so a £3,000 bonus). If you have more than that you can still use the ISA to save, you just won't get more than £3,000 on top.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    J2010 said:
    Hi folks, I'm about to reach £12k in my Help to Buy ISA and was just wondering can I stop paying into it when I reach that balance?... or will this affect it in any way?... or alternatively can I lower what I pay in to say £20pm instead of what I currently pay in which is is £200pm?

I'm a little fearful of changing anything incase it voids my £3k uplift for first time buying?

Thanks in advance 
    When are you likely to be buying?  If it's still several years away (and you're under 40) then you might find that a Lifetime ISA is more suitable, as it pays the 25% bonus on a higher balance (and has a higher property value cap outside London), but you'd need to transfer your HTB ISA into it at £4K per tax year....

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-isas/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure