Options
2»

Comments

• HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    If you pay the venue directly, who's to know they weren't your lessons 😉.  
    The executors? They would be the ones committing tax fraud.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your question about whether you need to keep a record of gifts, and where you would do that is a good one. For those of us that are technically savy, keeping them on a computer is an obvious option, but you need to find a secure way of allowing access to them in the event of your death. 

I have quite a lot of information that my executors need to have after I die, so have left a guide for them of what they will need, where to find it and how to access it with my Will. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    no idea about the technicalities, but 50k a year for riding lessons?  F me. 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,671.53
  • MarzipanCrumble
    Options
    Might it have been a typo?  Not 50k but 5K?

I regularly fill in last page of IHT403 - fistly as a spreadsheet on computer but then summarise in paper format.  This form also would help with normal gifts too.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5f60b44cd3bf7f7234487bf0/IHT403-05-20.pdf
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Possibly.
    But the OP has been active this morning so after people queried the £50k statement.  You would think if it was a typo, the OP would have had the courtesy to admit the same once they realised it was causing confusion.
    This variance also makes a big difference to the advice that may be most appropriate.  At £5k per year for riding lessons, the whole amount is far more likely to be covered by "regular gifts out of income".
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 January at 4:42PM
    Options
    The executors? They would be the ones committing tax fraud.
    How on earth would executors know what money was spent on ?
    Not a throw away comment as I am down as my dads executor and at 87 he keeps virtually no records, he has enough money that he does not need to worry about it is his attitude (around £25k on holidays last year and off to Vietnam in February) 
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 January at 6:12PM
    Options
    For £50k pa I'd hope that, while little Jemima is out in the paddock taking Smudge for a canter, Jemima's mummy is also getting personal lessons from Seth and Reuben in the hayloft ...
    (Sorry, too much Jilly Cooper!)
    (Although Seth and Reuben were taken from Cold Comfort Farm.)
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Kirkmain
    Kirkmain Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Possibly.
    But the OP has been active this morning so after people queried the £50k statement.  You would think if it was a typo, the OP would have had the courtesy to admit the same once they realised it was causing confusion.
    This variance also makes a big difference to the advice that may be most appropriate.  At £5k per year for riding lessons, the whole amount is far more likely to be covered by "regular gifts out of income".
    No £50k is correct, ok maybe £46k but I rounded up. This includes lessons, insurance, uniform, helmet, stirrups, saddle, competition entry, horse box hire for said competitions. Pretty much everything except the horse and stable costs.
  • MarzipanCrumble
    Options
    ok - then if 50k can come out of excess income suggest OP documents this by recording their usual expenditure i.e. in IHT 403 to prove that 50k can come out of excess income.  Think OP would need to make regular possibly equal monthly payments then which would amount to 50kp.a.
    However if it comes out of capital or by selling assets then maybe counted as a Gift.  OP should take advice I think.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback