We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Missing something?

Options
Marvel1
Marvel1 Posts: 7,200 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 6 January at 3:25PM in Broadband & internet access
Current Braodband contract ends 25th January, new provider Now TV offers the following:

I have always gone for the 36Mb option as it's cheaper but it's the same price as the 63Mb, but Topcashback does make it cheaper, which makes me think why? What am I missing? Is the Topcashback below as they offer more for the 36Mb? 

I know it will increase in April due to CPI.

There are other options available and I am currently on a discount price for the Entertainment package until April £4 a month - will need to runs the sums for overall cost.

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Think you can ignore the NOW TV discount, that'll continue to be available regardless of the broadband supplier.

Any reason why you have chosen NOW Broadband over any other supplier? Are they the cheapest?
  • Marvel1
    edited 6 January at 7:07PM
    Options
    I used this site's broadband comparison, filtered:
    Minimum 30Mb
    12 month contract 

Only had 4 results (2 same company different speed).
    Onestream Fibre - 45Mb for £20.50 per month

Now - 30Mb for £23.00 per month

Reason for Now is due to them being part of the part of the Ofcom automatic compensation scheme and Onestream Fibre is not.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    Options
    Marvel1 said:
    I have always gone for the 36Mb option as it's cheaper but it's the same price as the 63Mb, but Topcashback does make it cheaper, which makes me think why? What am I missing? Is the Topcashback below as they offer more for the 36Mb?
    Topcashback's cashback is set by the supplier's marketing team. It seems they want to attract more 36Mb customers.
    The cost to NOW of providing the connection to you is pretty much the same at either speed.
    A few months back I signed up to Shell. At that time, the cashback made faster fibre cheaper than slower fibre. It's just how it is.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Marvel1
    Options
    Cheers, thought I was missing something, 36Mb it is  :)  
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you enter you details into these ISP websites, they know where you are in relation to the FTTC ‘cabinet’ , so if your line will not deliver more that 40Mb , because of how far you are away from the cabinet , then the price / cash back becomes irrelevant,  so if Fab Fibre 40 Mb is all your line will deliver you will probably find that you cannot have Super Fibre 80Mb even if that would get you a bigger cash back , why the incentives are better is down to the cash back site and in this case Now .
  • Marvel1
    Options
    Order put through yesterday, all done and confirmed, today an issue, phoned issue was due to keeping same telephone number, need a new one, fine I don't have a home telephone.  Order re-inputted, I asked whether this will affect topcashback, they said no (I have my doubts beleiving that).  

Order back on, but now it's gone onto Super Fibre, I have no interest in faster speed, worried this affect the cashback.

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    Options
    I would assume that you've lost the TCB cashback. If it still turns up, it's a bonus.
    Or I guess you could cancel the order and try again in a few days?
    Also, why's it now a "home move"? Did they say?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Marvel1
    Options
    QrizB said:
    I would assume that you've lost the TCB cashback. If it still turns up, it's a bonus.
    Or I guess you could cancel the order and try again in a few days?
    Also, why's it now a "home move"? Did they say?
    I'm thinking the same to cancel the order and try again end of the week to ensure I'm Fab Fibre and egilable for the TCB.

No idea that's confusing is well, I couldn't really understand them, they spoke a bit fast reading the script terms.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When I signed up with Sky about 10 years ago they offered the 36 and 63mb tiers for FTTC broadband, then at some point they decided to do away with the 36mb and move everyone onto the 63mb*. That's presumably why both NOW offerings are the same price, seems pointless even offering both, but apparently for technical reasons not everyone could be offered the 63mb package so they semi-walked it back. That's my guess as to why it appears here.

The other two options are probably full fibre.

*We were among those who never got the speed upgrade, they never explained why but the OR engineer who installed our full fibre last month did mention our local cabinet was a nightmare)
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Using an address I know is not great for FTTC because of the distance to the cab, Sky offer both speed profiles ( Superfast 35 and Superfast , which is the  80Mb one ) even though the predicted speed is only 32Mb and the guaranteed speed 21Mb , so it’s not true to say they  only offer the faster speed , however in this case the Superfast is on offer at a cheaper price than Superfast 35 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure