Long Stop-Overs - can you leave the airport?

Options
I'm trying to decide on flights - option 1 is a flight with a long-stopover of 6 hours, option 2 is direct but is about 35% more expensive.

If I go for the cheaper option - can I leave the airport for a few hours ( the stop-over is daytime )?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    I'm trying to decide on flights - option 1 is a flight with a long-stopover of 6 hours, option 2 is direct but is about 35% more expensive.

If I go for the cheaper option - can I leave the airport for a few hours ( the stop-over is daytime )?
    As long as you have the appropriate visas etc to enter the country then yes... in most countries you can transit visa free as long as you stay in the airport (USA being one of the notable exceptions)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends on which country the stop is in, Buying an expensive visa to spend 6 hours in India may not be value for money. 
  • Bicycleman22
    Bicycleman22 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It might not be worth leaving the airport with 6 hours. Immigration, form filling, potential delay to the incoming flight and a long walk from the plane...... Personally I would go with the cheapest option and possibly use the saving for a good lounge or just occupy yourself in the airport. If it is one of the big airports there will be plenty to fill in the 4 hours or so you will have spare.
  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I once had a similar stopover in Detroit. Having since been to Detroit, not leaving the airport was definitely the right decision.. 
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 January at 11:55AM
    Options
    Option is Abu Dhabi (UAE)

got this from FCDO....

You can get a visitor or tourist visa issued free of charge when you arrive in the UAE. You do not need to apply in advance of travel. Your passport will be stamped with the visa as you go through immigration. It will be valid for up to 40 days.
  • DullGreyGuy
    Options
    DE_612183 said:

got this from FCDO....

You can get a visitor or tourist visa issued free of charge when you arrive in the UAE. You do not need to apply in advance of travel. Your passport will be stamped with the visa as you go through immigration. It will be valid for up to 40 days.
    So you've an hour to get off the plane, through immigration etc. 

The airlines will all recommend that you should arrive back at the airport 3 hours before your flight. You therefore are really taking about having 2 hours. The taxi is 30 minutes each way or the bus 45 minutes. If you allow extra time in case there is traffic or you struggle to get a taxi you are really talking about having less than 1 hour in Abu Dahbi 

What do you want to do there thats worth the hassle, including having to do currency exchange, for 1hr?
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    DE_612183 said:

got this from FCDO....

The airlines will all recommend that you should arrive back at the airport 3 hours before your flight. You therefore are really taking about having 2 hours. The taxi is 30 minutes each way or the bus 45 minutes. If you allow extra time in case there is traffic or you struggle to get a taxi you are really talking about having less than 1 hour in Abu Dahbi 

What do you want to do there thats worth the hassle, including having to do currency exchange, for 1hr?
    when you put it like that - yes I can see there is no point - there are othe flights that have a longer stop-over which may have been consideration but I think staying in tghe airport seems the best route - I presume there are no bars in UAE airport!
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    The UAE airports are not "dry", but the booze is not cheap.
  • DullGreyGuy
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    DE_612183 said:

got this from FCDO....

when you put it like that - yes I can see there is no point - there are othe flights that have a longer stop-over which may have been consideration but I think staying in tghe airport seems the best route - I presume there are no bars in UAE airport!
    You presume wrong, there are bars and restaurants sell alcohol too plus there are the lounges eg https://www.bottegaspa.com/en/bottega-prosecco-bar/bottega-prosecco-bar-in-the-world/bottega-prosecco-bar-location-abu-dhabi/ 

If you look at the menu its about £12 a pint before any service charges etc but alcohol is expensive throughout the UAE 
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DE_612183 said:

got this from FCDO....

Would you be flying with Etihad?

If so, consider an overnight stop-over, in which case they pay for you to stay in a comfortable hotel.

Otherwise, six hours is not a great deal of time. When I passed through Abu Dhabi airport (four times last year) it was quick and efficient, but it is a fair distance from anywhere that is of interest. If you took taxis to town and back you would wipe out a fair chunk of your saving from not taking the direct flight. The buses are reliable but rather confusing, and before going to the bus stop you have to buy and load a pre-paid transport card.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback